ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sacrificio di Isacco - Copy from Caravaggio

Sacrificio di Isacco - Copy from Caravaggio

I reproduced only Abraham's figure here.
    I used the painting picture as a reference, but I copied the drawing outline without tracing and proceeded intuitively as well also for what concerns the palette definition, by mixing and blending directly on canvas, either our of the painting and on the painting, to then pick the appropriate tones. I
    started from an initial palette similar enough to the one available to artists of those ancient times before I got the rest from mixing and blending.
    The canvas, small enough size, was the essential one, as texture, I changed to white. I started with a dark brown painted layer I duplicated and painted on.
    So it is, to some extent, a quite personal reproduction, not a photocopy, since I guessed and adjusted as I felt necessary.
    What You see is the just a painted layer I took to a good enough finishing level I think.
    I'll possibly amend, tweak it furtherly in the future on a larger size, try some effect and experiments with some glazes or else later on, but, if You agree, I deemed it finished for the moment ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SacrificioIsacco3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	361.4 KB 
ID:	55401  
    Last edited by Caesar; 05-04-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

It is very beautiful. Isn't that supposed to be Abraham though?

Fatastically real painting indeed.

Thank You, dear Sandra! As strange as it may be, the palette is actually a quite limited one. It's only the unmatcheable talent of Caravaggio and his tonal and colors knowledge coming from the Girogione Venitian painting school that makes color seem rich. I guess ancient painters knew much more than we believe today, the complementary colors play, for instance and also color spots effects, even if they were restrained to paint according to styles and rules mostly decided by their customers.
    After all, when the impressionist painting style came out, there were already examples of what complementary colors, synthetic strokes and color spots could powerfully produce, by masters such as Titien, Caravaggio, Velasquez, Rembrandt, Tiepolo and also the Macchiaioli painters and and those from a couple of Neapolitan schools in touch with Corot and present also in Barbizon with one of the Palizzi brothers and in Paris, the centre of art in the XIX century, like great De Nittis (who died pretty young though) and many others.

Dear Albert, Isaac was the one about to be sacrificed You don't see here, Abraham is the protagonist You see ... I would add the reference painting complete. The title means Sacrifice of Isaac, not Isaac's sacrifice (Isaac being the active subject). Thank You very much!
    Last edited by Caesar; 05-04-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Thank You dear Jasmine!
    Actually I'm a lucky guy ideed, and the good news is that here in Rome and in Italy is that we have plenty of these top ranking paintings across the centuries all over Italy, also after Napoleon thefts, still many more than what You can find in Italian classical art sections in the most important world musei.
    Here's the original painting anyway.
    As You can see even on this unadequate picture, I didn't stick at all to it underneath for tracing and picking colors and, alas, I cannot compare, not even by far to Caravaggio's art, talent and mastery (actually probably only very few could).

Name:	Caravaggio_-_Il_sacrificio_di_Isacco.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	55404  

A beautiful paining indeed, Caesar, I like your palette much better than the original that you have shown here

Dear Jean, Thank You!
    Actually I know the real palette, i.e. how it looks like in reality. I just found another picture possibly useful to get a better idea. Obviously four centuries ago the oil colors should have looked much more brilliant and shining and the painting an absolute stunner, as it happened to all Caravaggio masterpieces, practically movies ratehr than paintings if You look at how all is built, composed, narrated and enlightened.

Name:	caravaggio-sacrificio-di-isacco[1].jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	55405  

Bravo Caesar!.... I applaud your excellent work in this reproduction of a true master! I think there is so much to be learned about painting in trying to reproduce such work, You are very lucky to have such a wealth of great paintings near you. You have done a remarkable job on this... very well done.. I don't know if you plan to do more but I hope so.

Beautiful Caesar... your are reaching into the new heights of your creativity. And i am rejoicing with you over the gorgeous work done. Applaus and deep bow....