ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Unresolvedness

Unresolvedness

A continuous failure. It's just a puzzle. You must pass on all lines, without passing twice on the same line (or side), there are 12 lines (sides) to a single stroke see small figure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unresolved.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	55137  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lima; 04-26-2011 at 07:20 AM.

My recent post may give you fresh direction to solve them! Good Luck!
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore

Wenkat, dear friend thanks. This is not a personal problem. It's just a puzzle. You must pass on all lines, without passing twice on the same line, there are 12 lines to a single stroke.

I know, but wonder whether it could be solved if it's to be in 3-D!

Somewhat similar to another problem of connecting with Water, Gas and Electricity lines to three houses independently but without any crossover. A mathematics (doctorate) person told me there are some simple problems but have no conclusive answers!
    Last edited by wenkat; 04-26-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore

Ahh! I couldn't solve it

A good one

Hi Lima.
    I question if this is possible. Below is the puzzle with all lines crossed as a first step in setting up the required condition. It appears that any configuration of connecting the lines will always leave at least one side uncrossed. If there is a solution it sure escapes me. If there is not a solution the puzzle is a false teaser. But it there is a solution, it's pretty brilliant. Do you know????

Name:	puzzell.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	55149  
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

It's too early for me dear Oriane. What little brain cells I have left, have just been cooked.

to all.

Many years ago (1975) I was on duty and having lunch with a colleague when he proposed me to solve this problem. Of course I failed. Alias, I never solved it. During this entire time, occasionally I find myself drawing those lines. I like the different geometric possibilities that you can get, it is fun to do it.

Byron I guess you're right, probably it is a simple brain teaser. Your start drawing is the right rational cartesian methodical way of trying to solve it, or fail. I came to a conclusion that I do not know if is correct or not, or maybe I'm just cheating, or maybe it is my one truth about it, or maybe it just confirms my failure to solve it (see the figure).

That colleague, I never saw him again.

Name:	sol.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	55184