ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Portrait

Family Portrait

I'm trying to paint my brother and his wife. I thought I'd make a thread to keep me on track.

I like how the sketch turned out. There's potential.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dm_sketch.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	54852  

Here's the first update. If it looks like I'm doing something wrong or you have tips, feel free to voice. I decided to avoid the hair brush, so I'm experimenting with how to draw it.

Name:	dmupdate1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	54855  

Looks like you are off to an excellent start!
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Thank you. I'm slowly getting there. I'm glad this thread is here, because I probably would have moved on to something else by now without a reminder/motivator. I'm so transient.

Name:	dm_update2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	54868  

Question. Was the reference photo shot with a bulls-eye lens?

I intentionally skew and distort many of my reference photos. I'm kind of an obsessive-compulsive perfectionist, so if I start out with an imperfect photo, I can paint a little more freely.

If that makes sense.

love the color palette and skin tones. unusual perspective indeed. like it a lot.

awesome style! and such a pretty couple
    I like the blue colored glasses very much .. can't wait to see the finished painting.

I like the angularity and slightly vertical stretching of the head. I recognized other traits from your last piece. The hair, the small frail appearing hand, and the exaggerated other "frailties" which make me feel I am getting a visit from the endearing homeowner nazis (please kill your weeds. they are detracting from our equity, Or very distant relative (not too closely sharing physical features, character or familial DNA) appear at your door for a "pleasant" unannounced visit. How nice.

Enough talk. Someone will see something else because your paintings are so open ended. Your paintings and somewhat hilariously scary. Hope I am interpreting these pieces correctly. If not, never mind.

Looking forward to your next.
    P.D. Dinkles
    El Jefe Bombero (jubilado)

You're going to have another successful outcome. I like very much the style You used and I appreciate Your evident talent and skill!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!