ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Flow

River Flow

I tried to be a little loose on this painting, which is very difficult for me, but I did want to try, I know it's not as free flow as it should be but I will keep trying....oil and knife
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River Flow.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	262.5 KB 
ID:	54470  

Pat, your painting is lovely and I too wish I could get a looser painting style

Love the colors in the trees and the water. Looks cool and refreshing. Nicely done

Dear Pat, I would advice You to start preparing a backgrond with loose strokes and much knife use, some pre-set sticker brush too in case, as a base. It may be a funny and relaxing part, by the way. Then You should start seing something You may then carve out of the mess, on either that layer or a new upper one. It's very difficult for anyone which is not a much experienced professional, I'm neither, to get a much satisfactory painting directly.
    This painting is a good starting sketch and You may probably put it on a base and re-work a little to better unify the whole.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Nicely done Pat.. I like this a lot.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Jean, thankyou so much for your comments, I think I will make one big mess with paint and just play around with it with the knife and see what beauty comes out (thats a joke Jean)
    Noogins, so nice of you to check it out, thankyou
    Caesar, thankyou so much for the advice, I will try again and also work on this one, will see what happens
    Thankyou, dear Barney, appreciate it, have a great day

I like how it turned out for you.
    Geoff

Update for Caesar

Caesar, could you tell me if I have the right idea now, I have just done the background, I used the sticker preset brush Impressionist Artist and blended with knife on 40%.......thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River Flow2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	332.2 KB 
ID:	54476  

Dear Pat, You're on the right track I think.
    By the way, there's a painter, Bob Davies, who's adverising his new acrylics tutorial DVDs and he put a video sample on how to paint a waterfall. It could be of some help too I think.
    Anyway, if You wish to have some more experimental fun, You could try also to use another layer over the painting and test the effects of some color at various blending modes.
    They're all different, but most of them may give You an harmonized painting and some freat idea and outcome.
    Moreover a full black layer over, with a blend mode I just don't remember right now, would give You also a B&W versione of Your painting where You may better check the pattern of the various tones and decide if there's some change You would like to introduce.
    Another trick to decide if and where to possibly enhance a painting is to turn it at 90 or 180 and see if it seems to work as well as an abstract.
    Finally (but for Your next ones I think), I found often beneficial to start with a scheme of few appropriate colors. You may try to keep Your palette within the "poligonal figure" created by them as vertices and their mixes (at various tonal levels though, since the real blending here works, but You don't get the darker tones You would needas with real complementary pigments may happen.
    All these nice rules (and others) I learned from the masters and the books, are good helps, but I confess I'm often a little lazy using them, and this keeps me often away from getting artpieces...
    Last edited by Caesar; 04-06-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I really like the background on the second image and the colors are beautiful!