ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Paintings : 16"X48"

Large Paintings : 16"X48"

Hi all,

I'm new to Artrage and I'm currently trying the demo Artrage Studio Pro 3. I like to do large size paintings and I'm wondering whether Artrage can handle a 16"X48" @ 220 DPI. The end result is that I'd like to print this on canvas.

Has anyone done this before? Do I need to create a image that size to print on canvas or can I go lower?

The demo does no allow me to make an image that size. What is your feedback.

Lastly, has anyone used this in conjunction with either Pixelmator or Photoshop to do some art work? I'm interested to see how well it integrates with these programs as I would like to layer images on the art.

So far, loving Artrage.
    Dennis.

The quick answer is yes, you can do large prints in ArtRage, (check out my Deviant Art site), but like most quick answers, there are some issues. Large, high resolution images are RAM intensive, and ArtRage is, at present, limited to 32-bit code and can address little more than two gigs of RAM. This means that as the image grows, ArtRage slows down. You can import the image into 64-bit PhotoShop, but there are limits to how much of this you can get away with and not degrade your image. Don't be afraid to experiment.

You should try the AR2 Starter Edition. If I remember correctly, it allows you to change the size of the documents to whatever you'd like, but limits the amount of feature/tools you may use. It should give you a good idea of how AR3 will run at the sizes you need, because if you can work with the Starter Edition at those sizes, then AR3 will be fine.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Different people seem to have different experiences about where the bog starts, but universally, large paintings will bog down the program. For me a print size of 16 X 48 at 220 dpi is near unworkable for many of the AR tools. My solution has been, on large dimension paintings, to keep DPI at never above 150, and 100 if needed, and in some cases even 72. Then I use Photozoom4 to re-size up both pixel count and dimension. In most cases this works great, but certainly there may be some paintings for which it's not a good solution. Some people will swear this is an abominable approach. But I don't think it's understood by lots of people just how good a program Photozoom4 (or alternatively Perfect Resize7) really is. For me, it's a Godsend, allowing me to work a little smaller in AR where the program remains robust. The drawback is that both Photozoom4 and Perfect Resize7 are expensive as hell for a single function program. On the other hand,the results are superb in most cases. And depending on the painting (if the painting is forgiving, mine usually are) up-sizing can be successful in all the standard photo manipulation programs (Photoshop, etc.), and even the free ones (Gimp, Infranview, Faststone, etc.), but here, the painting content admittedly does matter. That being the case, I plan for it. Good commercial print and prepress shops can also accomplish remarkable upsizings using similar software to Photozoom. Until AR becomes a 64 bit program or otherwise finds solutions to run its necessarily complex algorithms, large paintings with lots of layers and content are going to bog down. That raises another point. Keeping layers to a minimum will help. I use a lot of layers, but merge them down frequently to improve performance. It does help a bit. GOOD LUCK.

Meanwhile, yes, AR integrates well with Photoshop. You can save AR files out to Photoshop files directly from AR. Most large paintings are almost certainly going to require some kind of pre-press adjustments anyway. Those third-party software products that support creating digital production files are the right tools for that kind of work. AR should be considered a creative painting tool, and I think it's superb. It is not meant to be a digital prepress production tool. But most of those tools will handle AR exports for press tweaking just fine.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 02-27-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling and a couple of clarifications.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Hi Dennis, I recently started working with zazzle. I took a painting that I made originally using the default settings of 72 DPI and an 800x600 size.
    When I wanted to export the painting, I changed the DPI to 200 or more and the size 2500x or more, and it took a few minutes to change the size, but my old mac did it, and with great results for me. I exported it with new name to identify it, and sold my poster the same day!
    Last edited by Alexandra; 02-26-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo.

Some info on enlarging
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...nlargement.htm

And some info on resolution, image size here

http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/...tip/tip25.html

edit to add

found a calculator that may be of interest and use

http://www.knightprinting.com/help/tools.php

r
    Last edited by Chuckart; 02-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Printing Large

Hi I am new to ArtRage and this forum also. I love the product, i have been using Painter for years along with Photoshop and a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet but find AR much simpler with great effects. I have an older PC running XP and have found that if I keep my images at around 100dpi and about half size or less I then save the image as a .PSD and then use Perfect Resize by onOne and resize and up the resolution to about 240 dpi to print upto 24x36" prints on my Epson 7600 Stylus printer with excellent results.

Perfect Resize will run standalone or as a plugin in PS and can resize upto 1000% without loss of sharpness. hope this helps

great recommendation gxhpainter.
    I have heard Perfect Resize is a great one. I know SuziQ uses that one to enlarge her images for printing.

Otherwise, yeah I think that is way too big a file for artrage if trying to use it at that size. Better to use an enlarging software or plug in for sure.
    The pencil tool would not even be visible at 500 size on that big of an image.
    I can only imagine the processor lags and crashes.

Re: Photozoom4 vs. Perfect Resize7: They both do the same thing and both do it well - RESIZE IMAGES UP (way up) while generally maintaining the fidelity from small to large. Photozoom4 seems to get the edge in most reviews, but in all reviews they both come out well. I use Photozoom4 and am happy with it. Those I know who use Perfect Resize7 seem also happy with the performance. Here's a PC Mag review for Photozoom4. http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/softw...hotozoom-pro-4
    Last edited by byroncallas; 02-27-2011 at 02:20 PM.
    //

Quote Originally Posted by henrystaahle View Post
    I guess all those pricy tools for enlarging are good. Worth trying a free tool that makes a very good job; XnView wit its Lancoz algorithm. Even better is Smilla Enlarger (http://sourceforge.net/projects/imageenlarger/) that I have been using for a long time.

I have tested some of those pricy tools for comparing but heve not fond the difference alarming in any way, compared to XnView and Smilla. So just of the sake of money; give them a try.

There is no doubt these free products are more than satisfactory for lots of paintings. And if you are sending your work to professional commercial printers the good ones, as some have mentioned above, will take care of upsizing just fine in most cases. Try the free stuff first - for sure.
    //