ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: found a hacker on my computer

found a hacker on my computer

I have a small network of 3 Windows 7 computers and one Ubuntu 10.10 computer at home. I was playing with remote desktoping from my Windows 7 computer to my Ubuntu. I was having difficulty and thought I would simplify the process...

SO.... I removed my remote desktop password on my Ubuntu pc and disabled the firewall... Got a little side tracked and forgot about what I was doing...

Later that evening I go upstairs and play on my Ubuntu computer... I then let the mouse go and was going to kvm to Windows 7 desktop and noticed my mouse swept across the screen... ( I share my mouse & keyboard between one Windows 7 computer & my Linux pc via a kvm switch...

I think strange but really nothing of it...

Next a terminal window opens and some bloke keys in uptime...
    I start to sweat bullets...

Then I notice my nautilus file manager open and someone is navigating through my hard drive... Now I'm panicking...

I power my Ubuntu computer OFF, and unplug the ethernet cable...
    Power it back on and copy my data from my Linux computer to an external drive...

After formating the hard drive and re-installing Ubuntu, I harden Linux's firewall and my own router (I have an hardware firewall/router on my cable modem)...

Now being completely paranoid, I'm re-installing Windows 7 on my main computer used for 2D, photo & 3D arts... I'll be doing the same to my other two Win 7 computers... Luckily they don't have as many apps installed as my main Windows 7 computer (Photoshop Elements, Artrage, 3DCoat, Painter, Paintshop Pro, Vue Complete, Hexagon, Wings3D,etc, etc)

I do network system admin for a living and should have known better then to leave my computer so vulnerable... so please be careful, the internet is full of bad people...

What a nightmare! They should charge these sociopaths the same as a home invasion... with breaking and entering.

I agree whole heartedly... But I guess some of the blame is on me for stupidity....

Instead of playing in ArtRage or 3DCoat, I'm e-installing the operating systems and all my apps. Finished the Ubuntu and now finishing up my main computer. Tomorrow I hope to re-install everything on my two other computers... Both Win 7. One is for video editing, the other is used as a file & print server...

I hate hackers....

Reinstalling is the best, I guess, for a compromised system.
    Remote desktop is the most scary thing for me, it gives me easy access to my desktop but leaving my peace of mind behind. Behavioral detection against malware is the best in my opinion, lessen the risk of day-0 attack of unknown malwares, list all the trusted connection in my firewall, deny the other, open unknown files from the email attachment, downloads, etc. in a sandbox. If possible, hardware based firewall is cool, add that with a firewall software and a realtime malware protection, update windows regularly, and monitor the traffic with hips software. That's what I did. Time consuming at first configuring the system security, but it is worth. Also, closing ports that you are not using except for known and safe vendors, disable telnet and terminal services(windows).