ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Inking Needs Serious Help!

My Inking Needs Serious Help!

I have no trouble with the pencil too, but when it comes to "inking" a picture, the way a comic book inker does, something goes wrong. It's not so much a technical problem- with practice (and tweaking the settings), I can control the size and direction of the line...
    ...but I seem to be missing the artistic judgment of how to put the ink down.
    Compare the first drawing (using the pencil tool):
    Name:  A.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  16.2 KB
    with the not-very-professional-looking ink drawings (using the "pen") that follow)
    Name:  B.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  16.0 KB
    Name:  C.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  15.0 KB
    Name:  D.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  16.2 KB
    Can someone help me?

Wish I could, but that looks like my twitchy inking.

Wish I could, but that looks like my twitchy inking.
    At least I'm not alone

I couldn't draw a straight line if my life depended on it. Even with a ruler... to be honest. Snakey looks adorable to me... btw.

When I do inking, I generally try to do close up short slow strokes, but if there's a reason to do a long continous one, I try to do it as best as I can and then use the eraser to shape it up and then fill in again where it seems off. Most of the time when I'm drawing/painting/inking ect, I typically have my canvas zoomed in to no less than 200% Sometimes more and I try to keep the inkpen tapered even just a little so I can overlap the next short stroke with the next one.

When I'm inking, I usually like to put the smoothing on quite high. This will smooth out most of the wobbles your hand naturally makes and will stop your lines from being too messy. It might take a few tries to get the line to go exactly where you want it though - having smoothing on a high setting does tend to give it a bit of a mind of it's own, but get it right an it'll look great!

Quote Originally Posted by MagenSparks View Post
    I couldn't draw a straight line if my life depended on it. Even with a ruler... to be honest. Snakey looks adorable to me... btw..
    Aw shucks, thanks, MagenSparks

When I do inking, I generally try to do close up short slow strokes, but if there's a reason to do a long continous one, I try to do it as best as I can and then use the eraser to shape it up and then fill in again where it seems off. Most of the time when I'm drawing/painting/inking ect, I typically have my canvas zoomed in to no less than 200% Sometimes more and I try to keep the inkpen tapered even just a little so I can overlap the next short stroke with the next one.
    I was experimenting with a zoomed in canvas, as you suggested. It seems to help!
    I've had trouble with the taper setting in the past (it tends to alter the placements of my lines), but maybe I should try that again too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetabbycat View Post
    When I'm inking, I usually like to put the smoothing on quite high. This will smooth out most of the wobbles your hand naturally makes and will stop your lines from being too messy. It might take a few tries to get the line to go exactly where you want it though - having smoothing on a high setting does tend to give it a bit of a mind of it's own, but get it right an it'll look great!
    Maybe I should practice mastering the brush with the smooth setting on. Usually I have it turned off due the reasons you've mentioned, but perhaps it's time to give it another try.

hi i was always setting the paper to completely smooth and i was using the pencil or the ink pen with auto smoothing but set to slight good luck. (im not sure if i understood what you ment)
    r

Hi,

I think your inking is very good, the 3rd Image is better then the last. I suggest cleaning up the lines or redraw them with a different pen or settings. Because the snake is a good design. You can get straighter lines like this:

Name:  snake1.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  56.3 KB

It that what you had in mind? Or is it still something else? Whobbely lines distort the view on the overall image.. so maybe this one gives you another idea. Good luck!

i actually like it ^_^