ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco Streetcar - Christmas

San Francisco Streetcar - Christmas

Colors tweeked in Photoshop, then painted in AR with watercolor brush (dry in wet) onto 3 layers in order to grey the mid and background layers for depth. Note the Christmas wreath on the front of the streetcar -- a city way of saying Merry Christmas, I guess. For those of you in the know about S.F., this streetcar is on the F line. I spent Christmas Eve day up in San Francisco and on a ferry to Susalito, photographing stuff, and then had some free time to get down and dirty and do some painting -- sure feels good to create something bright out of a white screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by marcialsj; 12-30-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Yo! Is that Canal Street in New Orleans? No matter, it's a great rendering.

Great colours. Did you start with a set palette and mix colours yourself. It's the sort of picture I aspire to in watercolours.

Sorry, Docsmith, this isn't New Orleans. But I'd love to visit there some day!

Thanks, fmc. Actually to this point I've been doing all my ArtRage work from photos. I originally opened my streetcar photo in Photoshop, did an "auto contrast" color adjustment to get the full range of values from black to white, then altered the hues and applied saturation to get some interesting colors. I used the result as a tracing image in ArtRage. Thus, I've pulled my colors from the photo's colors, not from a set palette or mixed colors. I do lift my paintbrush a lot while painting to get subtle variations in the specific area I'm painting, and selecting which colors I want from that is a lot of fun.
    Last edited by marcialsj; 12-29-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks for your answer to my question Marcialsj. I've just spent an intresting hour trying to get different shades on 3 layers, in the end I worked it out. Just changed the opacity in each layer. As you can see I still have a long way to go in computer art.

You're right, fmc, I lowered my opacity on my back layers. Sorry, I misinterpreted your question. My middle tree layer ended up at 85% opacity and my background buildings layer at 65% opacity. I did also drop the color saturation on those two layers a bit in Photoshop, but even without that you can successfully manipulate atmospheric depth perspective. I'm attaching the same painting without the layer opacities lowered so you can compare it to my other one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by marcialsj; 12-29-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Very nice composition, especially the buildings in the background.

Beautiful colors, beautiful painting of one of my favorite places!

Very fine job....
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Great work!I love the colors you chose!