ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Real Color Blending Problem

Real Color Blending Problem

I'm experiencing a problem with real color blending that is producing some unexpected (and, unfortunately, unusable) results.

Here's how to consistently reproduce my issue:

With real-color blending enabled, lay down some of this color with the oil brush: R 169, G 200, B 230. (It's the middle tone in the attached image)

Now select a slighly darker color: R 108, G 159, B 210
    (I've put a dab of in the upper left corner of the attached image)

Now paint over the lighter color with the darker one and rub it in a bit. The result in the very light color in the center of the attached image, far lighter than either of the two colors being blended. Obviously, this isn't how real paint would behave.

Unusual issues like this have occurred to me with other color combinations, too. Is there something in particular I'm not doing right, or is this an algorithmic flaw?

Edit: For what it's worth, I'm using the Windows edition of the very latest version, 3.0.8
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think Ive met the same situation where Real Blending doesnt feel real.

The mixing result would always depend on the amount of paint you are blending with, while sometimes AR automatically average the two colours. Dont know if Im saying it wrong but it feels that way to me.

I have also found a problem with real color blending, it has to do with values changing. See the attached image. I painted three swatches using the oil brush:

1) red/blue
    2) red/yellow
    3) blue/yellow

The first two when blended with the palette knife result in correct colors and the values remain consistent (see inset of desaturated swatches). The last swatch (blue/yellow) starts to introduce a value change which messes up the blend. Any suggestions or is this a bug? (running version 3.0.8 on Windows 7)

Cheers,
    Paul

There is a problem that can cause the introduction of some erroneous colours when using real colour blending and we're looking in to it for an update. The problem is exacerbated the more a blend is carried out in place (the introduction of a tiny amount of an incorrect value becomes worse over time as the erroneous colour is blended in to the existing paint). We hope to be able to solve this with some changes to the blending system in the future.

Thanks for the detailed information!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply! Here is some more information. The following are two strokes (one blue, the other yellow) done with the mouse (not using the tablet). The yellow overlaps the blue. Notice that the value change at the point where they blend is darker. I performed no other blending other than the blending occurring from the initial overlap of the two colors. If I do the same thing with red and yellow, there is no dark band. Also, if I use blue and yellow and turn the real color blending to off, then the values are all consistent with no dark band. Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Paul

Just wanted to note that I"m also experiencing this annoying issue. It really takes the joy out of using the real color blending.