ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Ink gets under the ruler

Ink gets under the ruler

Hi,
    I got a problem with the rulers: when I use them in conjunction with any tool (inking pen, but oil and watercolour as well...) the paint or ink gets under the ruler (see the included images, one with, the other without ruler). It happens sometimes, , seemingly at random in the middle of a stroke. If I undo the stroke and then redraw it - without moving the ruler - it happens again, in the same place. If I undo, then move the ruler and redraw the stroke, the "effect" disappears and most of the time the stroke looks OK... But since I get this error fairly often (1 in 3 strokes for example), the re-drawing the strokes over again is a bit tedious. Is there a way to fix this erratic behavior?

For the record:
    I work on an 2GHz Intel iMac with OSX 10.6.4, and have the latest version of ArtRage Studio Pro (2.0.8)

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mikolaj

P.S. - It seems to me that I asked this question a long time ago... regarding AR 2.5. This behavior hasn't changed since...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by mikolajkamler; 10-31-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Hi Mikolaj, Iíve just tried to recreate this problem on my system without any success - which is not a great deal of help to you Iím afraid, especially as I use a Windows PC.

I suspect in order to get to the bottom of this, the technical guys will need to know the exact configuration of your system, and graphics tablet driver details, together with all the variables of the ruler and painting tool being used at the time. From my own experience with other programs, intermittent problems like this are the most frustrating type. I hope it gets fixed for you soon.

(btw I think you meant the latest version of AR SP is 3.0.8).
    Good planets are hard to find - help look after ours.

I don't seem to be getting that here but I do have a thought: Are you seeing this especially on large documents? If so, in situations where you are running low on available memory, ArtRage may be having trouble allocating memory for the stencil mask so media gets in underneath the ruler / stencil.

Could you email me at support@artrage.com with the details of a situation where you see this, including the pixel size of your painting, how many layers, whether it happens at a specific ruler orientation or not, an example of a tool you're using and the settings values in the tool settings panel? That should give me a better idea of what might be happening for you and I can try to reproduce it here.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Jono,
    As I said, I work on an Intel Core2Duo iMac, with OSX 10.6.4 installed.
    It has an ATI Radeon HD 2400 graphic card. I use also a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet, with the latest (though I don't remember the numbers) driver installed.

As for the rulers and painting tools - the error happens randomly, independently of the painting tool and of the position, rotation angle or magnification of the ruler.

As far as I remember, it has happened to me since I use ArtRage, that is since version 2. Since then, I changed my computer more than one time (though it was still a mac), and used the previous versions of the OS. I also upgraded my tablet - from a Wacom Graphire to the said Intuos, but the problem still persists.

What is peculiar and interesting is that once the error appears and I undo my stroke and then redraw it (without moving the ruler), the error will appear in the exact same place as before. If I use another tool - say, a paintbrush instead of an ink pen - the new tool will "drip under the ruler" in the same place as well... So it looks like there is some method in this madness

Anyway, thanks for your answer - I hope that all this info I provide will help to correct this error in a future release of AR. It's not a terribly fatal flaw in the software, just one that makes me grumble as I have to redraw a stroke again...

Mikolaj

P.S. - I do not use the stencils as often as the rulers, so I didn't yet have the occasion to see if this bug happens with stencils as well.

Dave,
    Indeed, that may be something with memory... The drawings I work on are usually fairly large... The one I'm doing now has 4843 px x 3249 px at 300 dpi - that'd be something like an A3 page.

Thank you for your suggestion - I'll send you all the info by mail.

Mikolaj