ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Mixed Preset Panel

Mixed Preset Panel

Something that I would like to see is a "mixed" preset panel. I use a custom panel in Painter to keep a 2B pencil, a couple of pens and two or three water brushes. I find this combination great for rough sketching ideas, and would love this capability in Artrage

I realise that the preset panels have different information depending upon the type of tool, but maybe a new kind of panel that just held shortcuts to the real thing might work. Just a thought

alanti
    web: Alan's Image Factory
    http://www.aifweb.com/

That is already been suggested, and if I remember correctly, guys from Ambient Designs said they will add this feature later, with one of updates.

Ok, that is good to know. I did do a bit of a search before posting but obviously didn't use the right keywords

I'm looking forward to a mixed media preset panel, as well. Especially because I've been using a variety of tools to get the effects I'm looking for, which sometimes can mean having to switch back and forth between the different tools and their presets. One thing I'd like to see added to the presets (since we're on the topic of presets) is an option for them to remain on the current brush size selected, instead of defaulting the size they were made with. It's somewhat maddening when one is switching back and forth between two presets and having to constantly switch the size back to where one had them (but then... perhaps having a mixed media preset panel might fix that).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I don't find the size thing an issue, because I just create a duplicate of a tool at the size that I want and give it a name that indicates the size. So for instance I could have 3 auto smooth pencils, each with a different size.

What I find annoying is not being able to store the colour with a tool. In Painter, I have a 2B pencil that is a dark grey and a few pens that are always black, so when I change the colour of my watercolour brush then switch back to my pens or pencil, they don't use the colour of the watercolour brush.

Maybe I should make this a wish for a future version.

Quote Originally Posted by alanti View Post
    I don't find the size thing an issue, because I just create a duplicate of a tool at the size that I want and give it a name that indicates the size. So for instance I could have 3 auto smooth pencils, each with a different size.

Which is why I suggested it be made an option to allow it or not. That way, we all win. While some people like to have duplicates of the same tool, it would drive me nuts having to scroll up and down through the list of duplicates to find the preset I'm searching for. All the tools remember where they were set, so when going back and forth between something like the Oil Brush and the Palette Knife is no problem, but then I figure I'll just click on a preset to get the settings I want, but have to reset the size to where I just had it. It just doesn't support my work flow.

Quote Originally Posted by alanti View Post
    What I find annoying is not being able to store the colour with a tool. In Painter, I have a 2B pencil that is a dark grey and a few pens that are always black, so when I change the colour of my watercolour brush then switch back to my pens or pencil, they don't use the colour of the watercolour brush.

See, I like the fact that it stays on the color I have selected. If I had to create a preset for every tool, for every size and every color, I wouldn't be able to function. I can see how some people would like the feature, but again I'd rather see it as an option, instead of hard coded in.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.