ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Help me out, please

Help me out, please

What works in this painting and what doesn't?
    composition?, colors, atmospheric effects?, brushwork?

All who comment here are usually soooooo kind, but I am really looking for negative input in order to "grow" my abilities.

This is a scene in Southern Oregon, a beautiful place. These hills change color by the moment and at sunset are a rosy red, not quite captured here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

if you cover the left side of the painting, you'll see a better atmospheric perspective. The left side is way too hard in contrast.Keep the contrast and vivid colors for the foreground. things far away have less color and contrast. looking good otherwise.I like this painting.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

hi there janetcwest, i must say that its a beautiful spot and well painted and i esp like the treatment, the brushwork...

regarding composition and other things, ive worked over your painting to make them work better for the harmony, composition/balance, depth (depth of field) and atmospheric effect. i guess, for me, now it works.
    ive moved the trees a little to the right, increased their scale a bit as i hope they were your focus. so i added little more importance to them. a small focus hardly works. their position is better now. and to balance things as per the change, ive added a mountain shape on the top left, if u notice. plus, the trees and the highest tip of the mountain were vertically in one line that i wanted to avoid.
    further more, ive introduced a bluer shade on the top of the sky. burred the horizon and all those areas that are far away, ive even reduced their saturated colors so they recede in the distance, ive enhanced colors in the foreground esp on the focus, so they get attention, that area is much sharper than the rest.
    i hope ive managed to explain what ive done and hope this helps.

i repeat, i really like this painting (the style) and that encouraged me to work over it a little. hope u dont mind...

best to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by waheednasir; 09-23-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com

thanks

thank you both. Those comments and the reworking are tremendously helpful. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I really appreciate that you spelled out what you changed.

It's amazing what I cannot see until someone else points it out.

Your explanation of the " why" my version didn't work as well was great, both of you.

thanks again

JCW

Wahid,
    I visited your website and must say I am quite complimented that you took the time to give me so much feedback. I love your brushwork and your representation of light!! stunning!!

Thanks again and kudos to you.
    Janet

hello again janet, thanks for your time on browsing thru my site and the for the kind words.... much appreciated.

good day and happy painting.
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com

I like this painting and the palette used. The trees though stop me from going in further, Took the liberty to show you a " what if ".......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crtque.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	48819