ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Mountain Woman - Portrait number 4

Old Mountain Woman - Portrait number 4

Hello,

Here is my portrait number 4. I picked an old Mountain Tribe woman who wore the beautiful colored cloth wrapped beautifully around her head (the colors and patterns almost killed me when I painted!).

It is oil, knife, pencil and airbrush.

Many tribes lived far up in mountains in Asia and there is still tradition that elder people depended completely on their children or grand children, and some old people have support. Most areas on these mountains are quite cold, that is why IMO, these indigenous folks always have something to cover their heads. When I was growing up in the North of Thailand, few little gifts I always had were caps, turbans of many tribes of those whom my border-patrol policeman father visited.

What I wish most for these people is a chance to be educated. Thailand is doing better than many countries in educating them. In my father’s time, the border-patrol policemen taught them how to write and read Thai, nowadays, most villages have regular teachers, and a few are able to go to universities. Not long ago, a child of 18 passed the entrance exam to a medical school, and some kind Thais are paying for his schooling, following the kindness of the King of Thailand and his family who have had these people stop growing opium and are growing some other profitable fruit and vegetable. However, these people are allowed to grow opium and marijuana for medical use for themselves.

Any comments and advice is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great portrait Jasmine, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thanks so much Coops.

Excellent painting and I really enjoyed the story you supplied with it.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Jasmine, this is just a beautiful portrait, I admire you so much, I know you have had a tough time painting portraits as I have also, but you never gave up, and you improve so much, and your stories are so good and your kindness shows up in your artwork and your stories, thanks for sharing, keep them coming

The painting is enjoyable with such a colorful attire, dear Jasmine. The story is very interesting too and I wonder which type of language they usually speak since Thai has to be learned.
    When I was a child (early 60ies) there were still old people unable to write and read Italian (they also usually knew only local dialect). A successful campaign reduced their number to a negligible amount in very little time and the TV contributed too to the diffusion of Italian versus the dialects. There was also a TV program (the title in English was "It's never too late") with a teacher for them who made also wonderful drawings.
    I used to see it and learned by myself reading and writing when I wasn't 5 as yet. I also improved my drawing capabilities I presume ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

really nice. I love the beautiful scarf on her head.

Thanks to everyone of you, and I will come back to answer in detail later. This is one of those days that a retired person like me must do a few things.

Beautiful work...Love the textures, I can almost feel the brush strokes....