ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppet Theatre in Thailand

Puppet Theatre in Thailand

Hi,

Hope this painting will delight some of us. The reference picture was one of a few I took of this unique puppet play.

In the town in Thailand where we spent 2 months this winter, there was a Cultural Fair which lasted 10 days. No tickets to enter so we had a ball, it was just 10 minutes walk from our place.

One of the activities was cultural plays. And lucky for us we were right there on the night (no itinerary any where) that they played. This play is the new birth to Thai Traditional Puppetry by Mr. Sakorn Yangkhiawsod (alias "Joe Louis"), who was consecrated National Artist in 1996. The theatre is in Bangkok’s suburb but the troops travel all over the world. The first time they were in the town where we stayed.
    Hun Lakorn Lek (Traditional Thai Small Puppet) was created 100 years ago by Master Krea Sapatawanich, but suddenly disappeared after the world War II started.
    More than 50 years later Joe Louis (Mr. Sakorn Yangkhiawsod) received about 30 puppets from Master Krea's daughter and rediscovered this discipline after having realized its priceless value.
    The play came from the Hindu Gods Literature originated in India and many Asian countries adapted them into their languages. The very long epic is name “Ramayana”, about Gods, men, beauties, monkeys and giants. That night, the part of a heroic monkey (main assistant to the hero, God Rama, was being fooled by “Ms. Banjakai”, the bad giant’s niece, was played. Please keep in mind that according to Hinduism, everything can transform themselves into a human.
    In my painting, this is “Ms. Banjakai” puppet. The size is about 3 feet tall, handled by 3 persons. These young ladies dressed in very dark clothes in order NOT to distract audience. All of them graduated from an art/dance university, their ages are 25 – mid 30s for it take them another 2 years after the university to be trained. The male puppets are handled by men. The puppeteers move, dance, stomp with the puppet, quite exhausting, actually. A play session lasted only 20 minutes per session. I went to talk to the young ladies right after the play, they were huffing and puffing. They came off stages to let people see the puppets closer, got a good picture of Hubby having a monkey on his back, will try to paint that later.
    This painting used mix tools, the jewelry on the puppet was sticker and brush heads, thanks to the people who created them.
    As usual, any comments and advice are appreciated. Thanks.
    JJK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puppet Theater.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	47665  

Great painting Jasmine.. and I really enjoyed reading the background you gave us. I think I would really enjoy watching that show.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Jasmine, such a beautiful painting, and so loved the story that went with it, wonderful job as usualcant wait to see the monkey and your husband, boy so it is true having a monkey on your back

Jas - What a lovely painting! I really like the subject, too. Very well done.
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

Beautiful Jasmine. You bring happy memories to me. My dad traveled many times to Thailand and when he would come home he would bring me the most beautiful dolls. My mother has them safely in a glass cabinet. He also gave us all a temple rubbings and I understand that you cannot get them anymore. I have them beautifully framed. I love oriental styles too.

I liked the way you presented us with this painting. It seems you're writing a book about the habits and customs of the Thai people. The painting is wonderful. Congratulations Jasmin

This is so colourful and bright. What a great show you have presented to us Jasmine
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thanks to everyone of you for the kind, encouraging comments.

Barn. - I hesitated on the background because it can be very long, I tried to shorten it, thanks again.

Pat - The monkey puppet was brought down, and Roger (Hubby) is very tall so he stood out. The puppeteers were delighted to see him, normally they try to honor a foreigner, so he got all the attention, I attached the picture here. Will take time to paint!

Alexandra - So glad that you have the beautiful memories. On the temple rubbings, not supposed to do it anymore, but in 2006, I still saw some for sale. The rubbings can damage the originals badly.

Orien - I tried to make a long story short, but a little connection to the paintings does help one to perceive what we see better. I can't write a book yet!!!

Coops - I love bright colors like a little kid!! Thanks for the visit dear Coops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thailand 344.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	490.0 KB 
ID:	47685  

Wonderful photo Jasmine. Yes, my dad told me that there would be no more that they were indeed damaging to the surface. Mine are from 1969. I hope that it is stopped now.

this has a nice sense of movement and the colors are nice too...
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com