ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Apple Magic Trackpad

Apple Magic Trackpad

Will the new Apple Magic Trackpad work with Artrage and support the multitouch gestures? I'm using a mac desktop and would love to be able to zoom and scroll around in Artrage with one of these.

We currently support scrolling but not the other MT gestures on the multitouch MacBook trackpad and Magic Trackpad. We will be looking in to that for a future update however.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Provided these options are enabled in System Preferences:
    Single finger Click and drag - Paints
    2 Finger Click - Toggles Clear Canvas Mode
    2 Finger Drag Moves the Canvas
    4 Finger Swipes work as expected

The Magic Trackpad is not pressure sensitive, as far as I've found. So it's like drawing on an Apple laptop, not a graphics tablet.

If you want to do anything beyond panning around, you may want to look into a Wacom Bamboo Pen&Touch graphics tablet. They don't cost much more (if at all) than Apple's Magic Trackpad and will let you use a pressure-sensitive pen in addition to your fingers. Since you specifically asked about zooming, I don't know if any kind of two-finger gesture works for zooming with those, but the wacom tablets are generally highly configurable and the Magic Trackpad won't let you zoom at all.

Yeah, I would love it if there was the sort of free manipulation like in Adobe Sketchbook Pro for the ipad. The free scaling and the rotation and what-not. I would love to be able to work with the canvas with that sort of... hotkeyless... menuless... free-wheeling fancy-stylin' tweaking.

I don't recommend the bamboo pen&touch. I found the touch interface almost worthless, it's unprecise, jumpy, etc.
    No match to a magic trackpad.
    When I had one, I only used pen input as a result (and missed a scroll wheel, like on Intuos).