ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Problem pasting from Xara PGD 6 into AR SP 3

Problem pasting from Xara PGD 6 into AR SP 3

Hi, I have found a repeatable problem pasting from Xara Photo and Graphic Design into ArtRage Studio Pro.

The screen shot below shows what happens. The blue square on the left has been pasted from Xara, the one on the right is what it should look like. This happens copying both bitmap and vector images. It doesn't happen when pasting from Xara into other applications, for example, Word or Windows Paint.

A work-around is to surround the area being copied with a transparent (no line width or fill) box and copy it along with the intended area. This then acts a protective border and stops the right edge of the image wrapping to the left.

My system:
    • Windows 7 Starter
    • ArtRage Studio Pro 3.07
    • Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 6.1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Strange behaviour there. When you copy data to the clipboard, some applications will copy the data in more than one format, for example TIFF and BMP. The TIFF version has alpha, the BMP does not, so the data can be pasted as either depending on what the application supports.

When you paste in to ArtRage we first try and paste the data in TIFF format if it's available on the clipboard (to maintain alpha), then if it isn't we revert to default BMP. MSPaint will only look for BMP data. If there is a problem with Xara's TIFF to Clipboard system you will see the problem pasting in to ArtRage but not MSPaint.

We use the standard OS image handlers, so there's probably not much we can do. We don't have Xara and we can't replicate the problem from other apps currently so testing is tricky.

I use TIFF as an example to illustrate the potential cause, we have no idea exactly what format is being used by Xara when it copies the data, it's just likely that there is an incompatibility between the OS data format and the format they use for copy.

We'll make a note of it in case we see it elsewhere.

One other possibility: are you pasting when zoomed to 100%? Other zoom levels may paste on sub pixel boundaries and that could have a problem.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt, thanks for looking into this and your explanation. Iíve tried both copying and pasting at different zoom levels without success. Iíve also tried pasting a non rectangular shape onto a tinted canvas and it just shows a white background. (see image below).

I think they must be using their own internal clipboard format to keep the alpha. The only way for the moment is to export out as a png or gif file and Ďimport image file to layerí. This works fine albeit a bit long winded. Iíll pass this information on to Xara.

Thanks again, Jono

Hi, Iíve not had any news from the Xara technical team yet, but I have discovered the same thing happens pasting a bitmap from PowerPoint 2007 (see below).

Also, the bottom left of the pasted image has three small red, green and blue pixels. I didnít notice these before, but they were present previously.

If it helps, the Ďpaste specialí formats available when from pasting from Xara into PowerPoint 2007 are :

• Unknown Object
    • Picture (Windows Metafile)
    • Device Independent Bitmap
    • Bitmap
    • Picture (Enhanced Metafile)

Thanks for letting us know, that one we can replicate. It looks like the format Powerpoint is using isn't supporting Alpha but may be miscommunicating this when we try to paste. We'll take a look in to it as we work on changes for the next udpate.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks Matt, I really appreciate that. ArtRage is such a special program and I think both programs seem to complement each other.

Xara and Artrage

My fave 2 programs, have been so busy at work this year have had no time to use either. Looking forward to reading possible resolution.
    How are you finding the new XDP 6 / XP&GD 6 release?
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

Hi iceaxe, I'm quite new to XP&GD having only used Xtreme briefly before this new version came out. I must say though, having used Illustrator off and on for quite a number of years, using the pen and transparency tools (to name but two) are like a breath of fresh air. It also runs fast without a hitch on my lowly netbook

For me it's like ArtRage in the sense that using it doesn't get in the way of your creativity (despite all the options). It would be the ultimate joy if it were possible to copy and paste between the two keeping the transparency intact.