ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Thumbnail Viewer for Shell Gone...?

Thumbnail Viewer for Shell Gone...?

Cannot find it anymore...

The thumbnail viewer is now part of the ArtRage 2.6 / Studio / Studio Pro installer.

If you're having a problem viewing thumbnails, let us know:

1/ What version of ArtRage you're using
    2/ What operating system you're using
    3/ A description of the problem

I should be able to help you from there.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Is it only for 32-bit Windows?

I've been having some issues with the thumbnail viewer recently, as well. I'm not sure what's causing it. It's like a hit or miss sort of thing, where sometimes I'll open a folder and everything will be fine. Other times I'll open the folder after having saved an image earlier in the day and find that I can't get a thumbnail for the new file to show up. It tends to stay that way for an undetermined amount of time (could be an hour, a day, etc), then It will just randomly pop into view. I've tried refreshing the folder by right clicking and selecting "Refresh", but that doesn't seem to work.

Opening ArtRage and using "File > Open Painting" seems to always display the thumbnails correctly for me, if that helps at all.

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

tonemgub - It's not just for 32 bit Windows, no. There's a 64 bit version included as well. If you're having a problem, please let me know the details from my previous post as that will give us a clearer picture of your situation.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Someonesane - As you're running 64 bit Windows, here are some steps to make sure that the thumbnail viewer is registered correctly on your system.

Everyone Else - Caution before doing this. This only pertains to ArtRage Studio Pro on Windows Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit versions.

1/ In your Start Menu, go to 'All Programs' then 'Accessories'

2/ Right click on 'command prompt' and choose 'Run as Administrator' then confirm the security prompt

3/ In the command prompt window, enter the following ( note, this is assuming that ArtRage Studio Pro is installed to the default location )

cd\program files (x86)\ambient design\artrage studio pro

4/ You should now be in the ArtRage Studio Pro installation folder. Enter the following:

Regsvr32 ar3thumb64.dll

You should see a success message in a popup window.

5/ Restart your computer

Let me know if that changes the behavior for you at all. Also, did it work consistently for you in ArtRage Studio Pro 3.0.6?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Dave,

I'm afraid I don't recall whether it was occurring while I was running 3.0.6.

Having followed your instructions above, things seem to be back in working order now. I'll try to keep track of whether or not new saves start resulting in missing thumbnails again and get back to you if it happens again.

Thanks for the help
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Dave, your solution worked perfectly.

Wish the installer could have done it properly through.

Thanks and have a nice week!

Thanks for letting me know. It looks like there's a problem with the thumbnail viewer registering correctly on Windows 64 bit systems with the 3.0.7 installer specifically. This is a bit of a tricky one and relates to other changes regarding file associations since 3.0.6. I've noted it down for us to look into further.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design