ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What settings for pen to outline?

What settings for pen to outline?

I am trying to make an illustration for a children's story and would like to outline the objects and the people. The problem that I am having is that when I set the pen to a fine point it is not dark enough, and also I don't know what pen to choose.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I am trying to make an illustration for a children's story and would like to outline the objects and the people. The problem that I am having is that when I set the pen to a fine point it is not dark enough, and also I don't know what pen to choose.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Alexandra,

Try setting the opacity on the pen to 100% to get a rich black. Also the pen choice depends on if you want a constant weight line or thick and thin, if constant the Technical Pen would probably work. There are several presets for thick and thin, I would say experiment until you get the effect you want.

~John

Hi John, thanks for your reply. I tried the technical at 100%, but still it is not dark. I will keep playing around with it. I wonder if I have a little glitch in the pen area? After I play around with it tonight-I will upload an example of what is happening.

Alexandra,

My system gets it very black with opacity at 100% (WinXP SP3) as in the attachment.

~John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TechPen.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	45157  

when i need the black outline i always use the paper which is completely flat without any ups and downs. not rough. i dont have the program on this computer so i cant check the word for it ;(
    also dont forget about setting the pen on 100% pressure. with these settings even the pencil and the marker are really black good luck with your illustration!
    r

Roz, Thank you. I will check and see if my canvas is on smooth setting. I tried it today on the point of 2%, and obtained good results as John has suggested, but when I went to outline the features of the faces I needed the finest point in the darkest color, but again, I can't get it with any of my tools on any of my software. I can do the 2% point great, but nothing smaller.
    I printed off my picture, and tried something different. I used my color pencils over the picture and outlined with my artist pens-one is extremely fine in the point, and it looked great. I just hope that when I scan it in that I don't lose any of this detail.

Try setting your pen to 80-90% Pressure and 100% Opacity, with a Tool Size of 2%.

Dropping the Pressure should get you a slightly thinner line that is still dark.

-

Alternatively, for very fine lines, you could try using the Pencil tool at 100% Pressure, 100% Softness, and Precise mode on (or 0% Tilt Angle).

The canvas will have to be flat (Roughness set to 0), and you would have to press down fairly hard on your tablet.
    Last edited by terrygillooly; 05-23-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

Thank you Terry. I have written down your instructions and I am looking forward to trying this! So if I lighten the pressure I can control the size as well-I did not know this! I will upload part of the illustration soon as I try these helpful suggestions.

Here is my try. Maybe a mac thing. I used the settings and point of 2%, but it is too thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images