ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Another blurb about iPad and art

Another blurb about iPad and art

After reading some of the other threads, I thought this might be of interest.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/05/t...d-for-artists/

Note how it closes with the question: "Is this art?"
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

I'd rather buy this http://wetab.mobi/

Hans

Aaaaahahahaha... David Hockney!!! - well that street cred for you. But the blurb definitely under-estimates matters when they say "Hockney, who is 70 years of age, first took to drawing using his iPhone.."when actually this dude has been drawing since aunty fell off the bus!Anyway , he is seventy - and in spite of a lifetime of experience in drawing and painting I cant help to notice that his iPad stuff looks a bit off... (particularly in the light of his whole body of work I mean).Susan Mutaugh makes him look like a beginner, poor sod.But thats digital for you, and its a very different medium - none of which undermines his real work and he has huge street cred anyway. @ haakoo, that Wetab looks tantalizing - pity the article is not in English but I will have to do some searching to find out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowena View Post
    @ haakoo, that Wetab looks tantalizing - pity the article is not in English
    The article is in English and German. If you get German, just click on the little Union Jack flag in the top right. BTW-the page came up in English for me.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rowena View Post
    Aaaaahahahaha... David Hockney!!! - well that street cred for you. But the blurb definitely under-estimates matters when they say "Hockney, who is 70 years of age, first took to drawing using his iPhone.."when actually this dude has been drawing since aunty fell off the bus!Anyway , he is seventy - and in spite of a lifetime of experience in drawing and painting I cant help to notice that his iPad stuff looks a bit off... (particularly in the light of his whole body of work I mean).Susan Mutaugh makes him look like a beginner, poor sod.But thats digital for you, and its a very different medium - none of which undermines his real work and he has huge street cred anyway. @ haakoo, that Wetab looks tantalizing - pity the article is not in English but I will have to do some searching to find out more.
    Rowena no kidding... David Hockney has been around for years. I kind of like his digital portraits.

http://www.hockneypictures.com/compu..._prints_09.php

Oh yes I see... and thanks for posting that link Gz.I didnt think much of the two examples on that iPad link but his own site has much better work (maybe because not done on an iPad?? hahahahaha... only kidding, just kidding!)But dont you just love this shot of him working in his studio?This is my fantasy - to have a studio situation like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rowena; 05-16-2010 at 04:32 AM.

Thanks Doug! I found the lil flag

That WeTab looks so cute and I wonder what the specs are like... because when they say you can do 'absolutely anything with it' they usually think that going on facebook is the pen ultimate experience (not imo!)

Mmmmmm, and there are so many tantalizing options out there!
    Last edited by Rowena; 05-16-2010 at 04:31 AM.

[QUOTE=Rowena;297157]Thanks Doug! I found the lil flag

You're welcome!

.. because when they say you can do 'absolutely anything with it' they usually think that going on facebook is the pen ultimate experience (not imo!)
    Tell me about it!

Or they'll say 'this computer is for the POWER USER who does SPREAD SHEETS!' (Gasp! Ooohh!! AHHHH!!!)

I do digital audio, video editing and graphics, all of which use huge amounts of processing power compared to what Joe or Josephine Office user needs. Most office workers could just use a netbook!

Cheers

Doug

Well, the wetab's web site has specs. It's much closer to a netbook than the iPad is (i.e. it has a more powerful CPU, more RAM, a slightly larger screen). So it's not "anything", but e.g. painting with GIMP should work nicely. Well, except that GIMP isn't exactly touch-friendly (or even tablet-friendly).

But it's not actually available yet, and the company that says it's going to make it hasn't really made itself known before. For their first demo, they actually had it run Windows and play a movie of the UI they were planning to use. Very non-professional. I wouldn't pre-order this just yet. ;-)

The WeTab looks interesting, the name is funny. It does look mostly like a Netbook, though it doesn't mention anything about the display. It is a Touch screen I suppose, though being penabled would be a plus.

I recently discovered a company called Motion Computing and they make slate type tablets with virtual keyboards. They are mostly used in industrial situations and for medical personnel. I found an older one on Ebay and I love it. It is an 12" LE1600 and it is penabled with 1.5gb RAM and a 1.6ghz processor but it is fast enough for mobile drawing/painting and an Ereader. Plus you can rotate the screen and attach a USB Keyboard if desired, though I have gotten fairly fast with the virtual one. Funny everywhere I go people say "Is that one of those...?" with total fascination. I used it at life drawing class and everyone wanted to see it. ArtRage 3 SP runs great on it.

~John