Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we use 'Mouse Mode' only?

Gallery
    View images

Should we use 'Mouse Mode' only?

One of the things in ArtRage that causes much confusion is the 'Use Mouse Mode' option.

ArtRage, by default, uses high-resolution Tablet packet coordinate information for generating its strokes. But in certain circumstances those coordinates are incorrectly reported. As a solution, we put a 'Use Mouse Mode' into the menu to use mouse coordinates instead of Tablet packet coordinates. The mouse coordinates are always correctly reported, but aren't 'sub-pixel accurate'.

I would like some feedback from the people using graphics tablets. From the ArtRage 'Edit/Preferences' menu, select 'Use Mouse Mode'.
    This will switch to using mouse coordinate input. This is the way almost every other graphics application uses tablet input.
    Use ArtRage for a while with this setting. Does it change the 'feel' of ArtRage? Does it make it more difficult or easier or just the same to do your work? Do you even notice a difference!

In a future build, I will probably remove that menu option and leave it 'hard wired' to use mouse input coordinates. It would solve whole bunches of confusions and allow me to put twice as much effort into producing smooth stroke paths from the single coordinate input pipeline.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Mouse Mode

I am currently at school, where I use ArtRage 2.2 Free with a Wacom Intuos1 6x8 and a WinXP Dual Xeon 2.0 GHz with 4GB Ram, FireGL 64MB video. After a cursory investigation (pardon!), I cannot tell the difference with "Mouse Mode" on and off. Is there a tool that would particularly highlight the differences?
    At home I have ArtRage full with an Intuos3 on WinXP -- is it possible I'll notice a difference there and not here? If so, I'll try again this evening.
    I am interested in the stroke response of ArtRage--it's quite good but there's still no Sketchbook-speed brush. The airbrush, even on full pressure, autoflow off, colored blackest black ("none more black"), doesn't put down enough tone in a single stroke to match the Sketchbook pencil. You guys seem so much more clever than the Alias folks--do they have a trick that you don't? Perhaps all the texture and mixing formulas slow down the stroke processing?

Gallery
    View images
    is this a windows persons only question cause on my mac version of ArtRage it dosent seem to have a mouse mode option in the edit>pref menu?

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Gallery
    View images
    hmm i think a more suitable name for the option would help remove the confusion. 'use mouse mode' isn't very informative or accurate. on reading that i'd assume that it'd make my tablet stop working and just use the mouse. perhaps something like 'disable high prescision tablet mode'?
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

Gallery
    View images

Hei, Andy.

I use both. I draw with mouse and then i use pen-tablet wacom small one. And i change those tools at same image many times. I have been that selection 'use mouse only' on-position and i havent change it. (Not remember or notice). I make short test and dont see any different. I think that if it is possible to make so that it is automatic so that if paint using tools mouse or pen program select then it's best accurace or mode automatically. Then it is most comfortable to use. My thought only, art-hobbyist,,,,,,, professional daily use,,,,i dont know :?:

---
    Other thing what i notice is that selection 'hide taskbar in full screen mode' so i mention on this (i forget it later). I keep it selected. But when open program it dont work, must select off and then on again, and then after that i must move mouse on the taskbar and click ones then it goes behind the canvas. I use windows selection 'keep the taskbar top of other windows.) When windows selection is off then work ok. Can it be problem on my windows?
    ---

Thanks the user question Andy of this mouse selection issue. Many program makers dont make these kind of product developming questions customers or/and users. Good work.

Hide Taskbar In Fullscreen Mode

Hey, this is great! The hidden taskbar in fullscreen mode makes for a perfectly immersive experience! I'm an idiot for not trying that before.
    Rock on, ArtRage.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by heikki
    I use both. I draw with mouse and then i use pen-tablet wacom small one. And i change those tools at same image many times. I have been that selection 'use mouse only' on-position and i havent change it. (Not remember or notice).
    The issue isn't whether you use a mouse or a tablet. It has nothing to do with mice, really. There are some tablets for which the program can use two underlying methods for reporting tablet data: the badly named "mouse mode" and also "tablet mode."
    --
    [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] Japanese-themed tees and gifts

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by halley
    Quote Originally Posted by heikki
    I use both. I draw with mouse and then i use pen-tablet wacom small one. And i change those tools at same image many times. I have been that selection 'use mouse only' on-position and i havent change it. (Not remember or notice).
    The issue isn't whether you use a mouse or a tablet. It has nothing to do with mice, really. There are some tablets for which the program can use two underlying methods for reporting tablet data: the badly named "mouse mode" and also "tablet mode."

Okey. Now i understand better. :? I think so. :wink:

Gallery
    View images
    My Cintiq responds much the same in both modes..but I can tell a difference only if I actually use the mouse. I wonder if the tablet drivers overide the program settings when you have the program in the custom settings profile. I have an AR profile in my Cintiq that changes the pressure sensitivity and eraser feel....does that override AR program defaults or work in addition to/with??
    --------------------------------------------------------
    The truth is this to me...and that to thee.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Andy i tried both and for me i can't seem to tell the differance, both did the same thing
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2