ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Palette Knife Pen Tilt

Palette Knife Pen Tilt

I have only one wish, but it's an important one for me.

I purchased Studio Pro because I think it's great, almost perfect.

But I'm still using Painter most of the time, for one reason:
    The palette knife doesn't recognize Wacom pen tilt, to control the direction. I find it useless, the way it is implemented now.

Since the airbrush works perfectly with pen tilt, I wonder why it isnt the case with the palette knife.
    I hope for a future update with this functionality, to be able to retire Painter finally.

The pencil tool desperately needs tilt functionality also. I can't for the life of me understand why it isn't there already: You*can tilt the pencil manually, and ArtRage detects pen tilt. It seems like it would be very easy to write code that links the two so tilting the stylus tilts your pencil.

Tilt for everything, basically. Why does only the airbrush have tilt?

Tilt for everything, basically. Why does only the airbrush have tilt?
    I agree with freeMode,
    I would like to see all my painting tools acting like in real life
    but for the moment the way is far from it !
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

Yeah, as it's already in the airbrush I don't see where the difficulty is to include it with the other tools too. The code to catch Wacom tilt events is obviously there, it should be easy to extend it.
    Personally I don't miss it too much, except with the Palette Knife, it's crucial to have it there. I don't see how the Palette Knife makes sense without tilt. It's absurd for a Palette Knife to follow the direction of movement.

It's most likely missing from many of the tools, because of the way they are rendered. From what I've learned, a lot of the tools like the Oil Brush, Pencil (with Precise turned off), Felt Pen, Crayon, etc... use a special method that interacts with the canvas grain and the 3D lighting of ArtRage to give them the unique look we're accustomed to seeing from them. For this reason, it wouldn't be as easy to add a tilt to the stroke as it is for something like a simple bitmap brush, which many users are more accustomed to seeing from other art programs. It's probably related to the same reason the Pencil tool with Precise setting turned off can't have the Smoothing option added to it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Not sure, but I don't really get much from pen tilt with the airbrush either. I've upped the sensitivity, but the tilt in the settings panel gives much stronger results...