ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many paint on 1-layer only?

How many paint on 1-layer only?

I've been tinkering with the idea of painting on one layer only, at least for certain types of work that I do.

the idea behind this is "keepin' it real," in the sense of combining old-school techniques and limitations in the computer/ArtRage environment.

curious how many others do the same in their work as well.

archer

This may be a good exercise in discipline and some media like oils work better on a single layer but be cautious about getting sucked into a keeping it real attitude. At the end of the day your artwork will not be judged on whether or not you used layers or any of the other tools/methods in your digital toolset to create it. It will be seen as good or otherwise as a finished piece.
    Not using layers or any of the other tools available to you will not gain you much more than bragging rights with other new to digital people on a forum.
    Use what is going to get the job done best, most easily and quickest.
    Last edited by Juz; 04-15-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

I prefer to work in layers, a habit I got into working with PSP. It's far easier to correct mistakes especially when working with a background. If I like what I've got but it needs some adjustments to make it just a little better, I prefer to duplicate it and work on the duplicate rather than the original in the event I don't like the changes I've made to it.
    LogicsHere (Betty)
    http://bettylogic.50webs.com (Welcome to Betty's Place)
    http://logicmgmt.com/1876/splash.htm (1876 Victorian England Revisited)

Working in multiple layers vs. working on one layer is like the difference between before multi-tracking in a music studio and after. Yes, there are a certain amount of chops required and bragging rights enjoyed in being able to say the song was recorded in one take with no overdubs. However, without multi-tracking, masterpieces by the Beatles, Hendrix, Marvin Gaye would have never have happened.

Non-linear (Read: Layers) is where it is at if you want to accomplish things that can't be done physically. Curiously enough, there is also the fact that as good as ArtRage's brushes are, you can often come closer to replicating the true physical characteristics of a medium by using layers. Glazes for example are sometimes truer to real life if you put them on separate layers, add a pinch of blur and work with the transparency level a bit.

Hi archer,

It seams to me that you did paintings in traditional way and you want to have
    your paintings look the same;
    as in real painting techniques (if we speak only about oils for example)
    there are many sorts of them,
    no doubt that you refer to alla prima way of painting but even for this,
    in real painting, you may work on at least three or four layers.
    The very old traditional paintings consist of many many thin layers for a
    detailed painting , also even Bonnard who is one who juxtaposed the brushstrokes the most of the time, still,can be considered that he worked in layers but that was don differentely.
    I believe there are no rules for that unless you want to follow precisely
    the way that a specific painter did work ,
    no doubt that the technique is at the service of the subject and how you want to treat it;
    Art Rage is excellent for working on layers and it will be sorry to not use this but is also possible to work on layers first and blend the layers that you need to blend and work further on this new more complex layer, do the blending or adding some color to unify better the whole thing.

In any case working on one layer wouldn't make it more real like painting but is about giving a raw look to it which can be pleasant when is done
    by a skillful painter.
    Last edited by Dany51; 04-19-2010 at 01:44 AM.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

It can depend on what you are painting, really. Some things work better with one layer, some things work better with many layers.

Then there's working on a transparent layer, then merging it down, opening another transparent layer... Can be used to imitate glazing, for example.

I do some in single layers and some in multiple layers. Just depends on my mood and what I'm trying to do.

I do painting on one layer only. It really helps your skill.
    If you were to move something around or twist it, why didn't you do it right in the first place? That's what I think.
    But there are certain techniques you have to use layers e.g line art colour-in, monotone colouring, matte painting... Not my style though.

Quote Originally Posted by gb_whisper View Post
    I do painting on one layer only. It really helps your skill.
    If you were to move something around or twist it, why didn't you do it right in the first place? That's what I think.
    But there are certain techniques you have to use layers e.g line art colour-in, monotone colouring, matte painting... Not my style though.
    That's it exactly. Each to their own inclination and talents.
    I figure the tools were provided for a reason, and I try to learn to use them.
    Personally, I use layers A LOT.

I always paint on just one layer--at a time. Seriously, having layers available allows me to do things I couldnīt do in traditional media. Use them or donīt. As Barnburner said, AR is a super program that allows us to do nearly whatever we want.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.