ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: New guy here, got some q's.

New guy here, got some q's.

I just purchased a wacom w/ artrage, seems like an awesome program but I am having trouble doing some more detailed things. I noticed the people on youtube who have speed paintings of some awesome work use Coral. Now I dont have the $400 or so they are asking. So I am thinking of purchasing the upgrade (artrage studio pro). Can anyone tell me when extra options this gives you compared to the standard artrage program.

Secondly, any detailed tutorials/videos that helped other users out when they first started. Thanks everyone, I look forward to posting some work in the future

Hi Ensiferum, welcome to the forums

For a comparison of the products
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/files/...comparison.pdf

You might find this 2 and a half hour painting lecture by LeMec a handy starter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84MUPYNEY0E

You could also have a look at the artrage 2 and artrage studio tutorial lists at the top of the tips and tricks forum
    Last edited by Juz; 04-05-2010 at 03:03 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

So from the looks of it, I will be upgrading to studio pro. Cause I can do some nice landscaping, but seem to have trouble with doing faces. The palette knife seems to be the only way to blend, and maybe its just my lack of knowledge, but does not seem to be doing the job. I checked out that tutorial last night, sat through the whole 2hrs 40mins. Helpful tutorial, but I want something more technical. Thanks for the welcome

Do you have any image links that might show us the type of style you're looking for? It would help in explaining any techniques that might be more to your liking.

It should be noted that if you purchase the Pro version of ArtRage studio you'll have far more versatility with the palette knife (see attached image).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palettkinfe.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	43848
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Nice, looks like Studio Pro is the way to go. I just purchased it. To get an idea of the art I enjoy doing, just google images for Ensiferum. I admire the guy who does their album art. Anything Norse I absolutely love. Thanks again for the help.

Hello again Ensiferum,

You should be able to come pretty close to that style with ArtRage. A combination of the Oil Brush, Crayon and Palette Knife tools should get you there. The following images aren't Norse in nature, but the methods used on them (all done in ARSP) could probably be applied to get an image similar to the covers I saw.

I did this next one mainly with the Watercolor tool and some Airbrushing, but the result is also similar.

Here's a time lapse video I made using the Oil Brush and Crayon tool, which uses the same methods I used to make these. It was done in ArtRage 2.5, but can be done more easily in ARSP, with the addition of the user editable shortcuts it has.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 04-06-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Nice time lapsed video. I am going to attempt one of those album covered in the near future once I get a better feel for the program. I guess starting small and working my way up is the best approach. Well thanks for the advice, I am sure I will be posting back with questions and what not once I get painting.

Oh and excuse my ignorance, but is that Sephiroth? I never played that FF but know the name and can put a face to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ensiferum View Post
    Oh and excuse my ignorance, but is that Sephiroth? I never played that FF but know the name and can put a face to it.
    Yep, it's Sephiroth. I'm not really a fan of the FF series though. In fact, I've only played one of the games for like 10 minutes while waiting on a friend of mine to get ready to leave. I just happened to come across an image of him while looking for something to use as a reference while I tested out the new tools ARSP had. I figured, if it turned out alright, I could help support ArtRage by posting it and maybe catch the attention of some of the Final Fantasy players out there and get them to check out ArtRage.