ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to toggle Clear Canvas mode on X200 tablet?

How to toggle Clear Canvas mode on X200 tablet?

I've been using Art Rage on a Lenovo X61 Tablet. (Works great)

On the X61, it is possible to toggle the Clear Canvas mode in Tablet mode by pressing the enter key on the screen bezel.

Right-click does not work. Holding the pen button allows you to move the canvas, it does not toggle the Clear Canvas mode.

I will likely be upgrading to an X200 or X201 Tablet in the near future, but unfortunately this does not have the Enter button or directional arrows on the bezel. I imagine pen behavior will be the same (pen button for dragging, not for right-click), so how will I toggle Clear Canvas mode?

Your fears are correctly placed, I have been using an x200T with artrage for a year or so now. It is not possible to enter clear canvas mode without pulling up the onscreen keyboard or having the keyboard out. I like the keyboard out because i like my screen a little more vertical. Though now that i think about it, for traveling and such the onscreen keyboard might be a more viable option.

Hmmm. That is annoying. Entering Clear Canvas mode is possible from the menu, but existing is tricky.

Does the X200T still have the Esc key on the bezel? Perhaps convince AmbientDesign to make it possible to use the Esc key as the Clear Canvas toggle?

If you click and hold without moving, then release on the canvas, does that toggle the mode? If you an click-hold and drag to move the canvas then ArtRage is detecting a right click. If it detects a right click that has not moved from its original point (or has moved only ever so slightly) it should toggle this mode.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Nope, not working.

Basically, if I hold down the pen side button and hover (no click), I can drag the canvas. Works really well.

If I hold down the pen side button, and click, it makes a mark - same as if I was not holding the pen side button. Pen button and hover over the layers palette brings up the context menu, WITHOUT clicking.

Holding the pen side button and clicking works as a right-click in Windows and in other applications.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    If you click and hold without moving, then release on the canvas, does that toggle the mode? If you an click-hold and drag to move the canvas then ArtRage is detecting a right click. If it detects a right click that has not moved from its original point (or has moved only ever so slightly) it should toggle this mode.

Does this tablet have a Wacom digitiser? It's possible that Windows Ink Services and Wacom's drivers are interacting badly in which case turning ink services off for ArtRage may help.

If you're getting a right click event by pressing and holding while hovering over the layer panel then there's something really weird going on and it may relate to settings.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I just tried that out mattrage, it worked! I entered clear canvas mode by side button clicking with my pen tablet while being sure i did not move it in any direction. a stationary right (side button) click did the trick.

Yeah, the X61T has a Wacom digitizer.

Turning off ink services does not make a difference, the behavior is the same.

To be honest, I quite like the "drag while hover" for panning the canvas, but clearly it means something is awry.

How about the Windows 7 multitouch settings? What should those be?

I notice that in the control panel there is an applet from Wacom, and then the Microsoft Pen & Touch settings. The Wacom applet says that the function of the pen button is defined by "Tablet PC", which I take it refers to the Microsoft driver.

I'll tinker around with this and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Does this tablet have a Wacom digitiser? It's possible that Windows Ink Services and Wacom's drivers are interacting badly in which case turning ink services off for ArtRage may help.

If you're getting a right click event by pressing and holding while hovering over the layer panel then there's something really weird going on and it may relate to settings.
    Last edited by gpvillamil; 03-06-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Glad to hear it worked for you, ReedRex!

There are some odd interactions that happen around the Wacom drivers, Ink Services, and some Multitouch screen drivers. It's hard to pin down a single solution because it seems to vary wildly between machines.

The three settings that would be relevant to this are:

Use Ink Services
    Precise Tablet
    Use Touch Input

Different combinations of those three settings often fix the problem but there have been some situations where drivers have had to be updated. If something is on and it's not working, give it a shot turning it off just in case. 3.0.6 fixed a number of these incompatibilities but there may well be more out there unfortunately.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.