ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Tribute to Wyeth

A Tribute to Wyeth

After a great comment by DAkey on my self portrait painting I decided to try my hand at an Andrew Wyeth-ish painting. He used a tempura medium to achieve his great texture effects but I'm destined to find away to capture something close with this great little program called Artrage!

I guess he liked to paint things close to where he lived, like his neighbor and his neighbors house. I don't want to paint my neighbors nor am I going to paint there uninteresting suburban home! He also commonly painted images with sleeping dogs, windows (with natural great lighting), and sleeping nude women in his paintings. I'm sure my wife didn't want me taking a photo of her sleeping however my dog did not complain one bit!

Before I go any further, I have a question to anyone that may have the answer. If you notice in the bottom right section of the painting where I have started to blend the dark (right) with the light (left) on the floor, I am getting a red dominance where the two meet. I'm not sure what is causing this. It is from the same palette used on the wall behind the chair. I have had this happen a few times before and I can't figure out what causes it.

Anyway, here is the start. My dog Bailey doing what she does best. The background is going to be all improvised as well as the color and lighting. I'm not sure if this will even materialize or not but I will give it a shot! Thanks for checking it out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 19 00.10.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	41976  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Sketch, you got wonderful idea, painting your own subject, theme and try out whatever the style will suit you, to paint it in. I do the same, just piddling with my ideas... anyway am looking forward to your progress and if you need cheering.along the way . i can provide that also..

AT-TA, loud cheers and shouts of encouragement will definitely help me on this one! Thank you for the comment!
    Eckhart Tolle

Before I go any further, I have a question to anyone that may have the answer. If you notice in the bottom right section of the painting where I have started to blend the dark (right) with the light (left) on the floor, I am getting a red dominance where the two meet. I'm not sure what is causing this. It is from the same palette used on the wall behind the chair. I have had this happen a few times before and I can't figure out what causes it.
    Hi Sketch,
    I've observed this thing happen in a few on my works too. I'm not sure what is the reason at the back end for it, but usually I face this while blending 'THICK' paint with the blending knife for rendering human skin. The reddish color seems to come out of the burnt umber like shade mixing with the pale brown like shade always. It's almost like Burnt Umber & ivory mix to give a kind of burnt sienna.
    What I've found as a workaround is to blend these colors not with a knife but with the Oil brush itself (@ 0% loading 100% thinners and pressure to your choice) Of course I try and not get the paint to be too thick too by adding layers of paint (12% loading, 75% thinners, 25% pressure) in stead of applying a thick coat in the beginning and then trying to blend, but it's a bit of a long process. I've also found in some cases that using an oil brush with lots of thinners on top of the 'red' paint takes some edge off it.
    Hope this helps.
    Eager to see the end result!
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Thanks Fly! Glad to know others have run into this issue. I was a tad worried it was just a color phenomena I was unaware of in my limited knowledge of color theory (maybe it still is). Yes, you are correct, it does seem to happen when working with browns and tans and yes I was blending with the knife. I will try using the dry brush (no load) for blending to see if that works. My brush (when painting) is currently on 50% load and 50% thinner so I will try your technique out! Thanks Fly Guy!
    Eckhart Tolle

Certainly a great contemporary master who appears a very discreet painter, just hiding his genius and mastery behind his masterpieces to let a quite credible and unaffected reality speak in them in a naturally and not at all emphatically built way.
    You're on the right track with this one!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Caesar thank you! Yes, he is very popular at least here in the U.S. and has become somewhat of an icon over the years. His paintings are very simple subjects but he seems to capture a very personal deep emotion in them.
    Eckhart Tolle

Hello Sketch!

I, too, am looking forward to seeing this as a finished piece!

I have never heard of Wyeth. I'm so new to art, in general, that I'm sure I've got a whole host of people to look into and learn about for their styles, etc. I will definitely look him up now!

I'm new enough to AR that I haven't had the issue you are talking about but I will definitely keep this in mind and remember Fly's suggestions too.

Thanks Firefyt! There is a link to some of his images up above in the first post if you want to view some of his paintings!

Ok, changed the palette a little because I was still having the red appearance with blending and the brush @100% pressure, 0% load would only blend to a certain extent and then stop, as if the paint dried and could no longer be blended. Reminded me of the frustration with acrylics and blending. I found another solution, blend with the same color but use the crayon over the brush work. The red went away but so does some of the brush effect...Urrggg!

I am a little confused as to exactly what the light should be doing on the dog and the chair. Also need to figure out what the shadows would be doing on both. Perhaps that is not the only window in the room and light needs to be coming from other sources as well. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated

Name:	ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 19 13.48.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	42019  
    Eckhart Tolle

Dear Sketch, great observation that you did. These colors are on the side of the orange and red (dark red). When placed side by side, there is a little contamination of red ink (a strip of contamination), which when mixed with the knife, results in a variation of red. You're right also with respect to mix with oil, as suggested by Fly. However I think Fly was speaking in layers. Anyway, your solution was very good. Surely you'll also find a solution to the Light.

I experimented a lot with these colors and its possibilities. I'm posting here to see if you agree.

Name:	Sketch1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	42036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketch2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	42037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketch3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	42038