ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eraser function (newbie!)

Question Eraser function (newbie!)

Hi, I just bought Artrage Pro (love it! ), but am missing one small but crucial function (or not "getting" it ): I can't configure a simple eraser that will completely erase AND vary size with stroke pressure. Also, with my Wacom 4 the "Instant Erase" setting still varies BOTH opacity and size with pressure (it's just overall bigger).

Configuration:

Artrage Pro 3.06 (most recent German fix)
    iMac, OS X 10.6.2
    Wacom 4 L (driver 6.1.3-3)

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi goestas,

Welcome!

I had a try and you're right, I can't see such a setting as the one you want for the eraser.

Perhaps a silly question, but why don't you use the white pen as your eraser instead? After all, some artworks on this forum use the eraser to draw, so why not the other way around?

Not silly at all; however, I want my "white space" to be empty, since I work in layers and need what is underneath to show through. An alternative that would be a cool feature would be an option on any (where practical) brush to "paint negative", i.e. erase paint instead of adding it. But right now I'm just looking for a simple, clean eraser so I can move my project from Photoshop Essentials to Artrage, whose brushes are smoother to work with.

Hmm, that is indeed more complicated. The closest I can get to it is to paint with a 100% opaque ink pen in a bright colour, then select the stroke with the magic wand, then press CTRL+X to delete it. A bit of a long way around, and fiddly if you want to work with lots of fine and separated strokes.

This sounds like a good request for the Ragers.

goestas,
    As a workaround if you use a mouse to erase you'll eliminate the 'pressure' problem..
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Quote Originally Posted by flyashy View Post
    goestas,
    As a workaround if you use a mouse to erase you'll eliminate the 'pressure' problem..

Right, but then Goestas would lose the desired size variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
    Hmm, that is indeed more complicated. The closest I can get to it is to paint with a 100% opaque ink pen in a bright colour, then select the stroke with the magic wand, then press CTRL+X to delete it. A bit of a long way around, and fiddly if you want to work with lots of fine and separated strokes.

Since there's no way to get the correct effect otherwise (that I can find), I'd use a similar method to Sunflower. On a layer above the layer I'd be erasing, I'd use the Ink Pen or Oil Brush to mask the areas that I intend to erase, then I'd use "Edit > Select Layers Contents" (I have this set up as a keyboard shortcut since I do this often) to select the painted areas on the layer and then use "Ctrl + X" to remove the paint from the desired layer.

Using the Select Layers Contents is more beneficial to me in cases where I intend the erasing to mimic the textures or gradients of the masking (see example image below, where the blue and purple hues are colors on a layer beneath the orange paint).

Name:  et4.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  50.5 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Right, but then Goestas would lose the desired size variation.
    ..erm..any chance I could blame the aliens in the Calendar area for this one too?

Lol, sorry about that, I seem to having an off week!
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

you're all so kind ...

... getting into this and coming up with all these great suggestions! Unfortunately my goal is to have the simplest possible workflow, just adding ink and erasing it until the image is what I want. This is something I can do on the most basic paint programs, but these of course don't offer the terrific control and feel of Artrage. I'm sure the existing eraser is meant also to feel "real", but then, a lot of what we do is far more that what you can easily do with paper (like layers for instance). All Artrage would need to do is change the "pressure" curve values, since at the moment "instant" is really just a fatter version of "hard-edged". At "pressure"=100, I would think, the eraser should be totally effective, varying only in size.

Anyway, it's just a small "flaw", and I guess I can't expect to be able to duplicate my working style in different apps, that's why I have them, to do different things. I was just hoping to be able to "woodcut" this way in Artrage, since I really like how the ink pen feels here, far better than in Photoshop.

Hi goestas!

I'm a newbie myself

If your woodcuts are in all black, then you can use the following trick. Set your woodcut layer on the Blend Mode called Multiply. This will treat black areas as black, and white areas as transparent as far as underlying layers go. Now you can follow Sunflower's suggestion of "erasing" with a white pen, while allowing your color layers to show.

Hope that makes sense!

Makes perfect sense, thank you!