ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: OMG - How many MHz are needed?

OMG - How many MHz are needed?

At the moment I am working on some a little bit larger images, because I want to print them.
    They have sizes about 6000x4000 pixel and larger and several layers. I always do the first work in PS and then switch to ArtRage for the finish.

But unfortunatly it seems to be that my old PC is a littllllleeeee bit to slow for this size of images.

It is like working in very slow motion.

If there are people here who work in print size with such large files too, and their computer is fast enough to handle it fluently, I would appreciate it
    when you would tell me the specifications of you computer, because it looks like I need a faster one, and I do not want to buy a new one that still
    is tooooo slow - sigh!

Regards.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Quote Originally Posted by narf View Post

I would appreciate it
    when you would tell me the specifications of you computer, because it looks like I need a faster one, and I do not want to buy a new one that still
    is tooooo slow - sigh!

Regards.

It would help to know the current specs for your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    It would help to know the current specs for your computer.
    How that?

My computer is too slow. I want to know if somebody works on such large
    pictures (>=6000x4000 multilayer) and has a computer with sufficient speed. If yes, I want to know
    those computer specs.

When I say I have a P4, and it is too slow, how would that help? I already know it is too slow.

Talking

p4 2.8 Mhz 2 GB mem artrage 2.5
    7000 x 4500 4 layers no delays !

Quote Originally Posted by narf View Post

When I say I have a P4, and it is too slow, how would that help? I already know it is too slow.
    In order to help and find out what is too slow, we need to know what you have now, a place to start from.

A P4? Gawd-I had a P4 back ...hmm.. when? 1998? You're lucky you can even run ArtRage. Is it AR3 or 2.5?

Best advice is just to buy a newer computer.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Doug B; 02-13-2010 at 01:24 PM.

In order to help and find out what is too slow, we need to know what you have now, a place to start from.

A P4? Gawd-I had a P4 back ...hmm.. when? 1998? You're lucky you can even run ArtRage. Is it AR3 or 2.5?

Good Luck
    Hi Doug,

I have 2.5 and AR3 Studio Pro running on an old Compaq AP550 with 2 P3 @1Ghz each and 1Gb memory and I don't have a problem...........true I don't tend to paint at the sizes mentioned.......the maximum I use is 4000 width but it seems OK.
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pinckney View Post
    Hi Doug,

I have 2.5 and AR3 Studio Pro running on an old Compaq AP550 with 2 P3 @1Ghz each and 1Gb memory and I don't have a problem...........true I don't tend to paint at the sizes mentioned.......the maximum I use is 4000 width but it seems OK.
    Yes, it really depends on what you do and how you do it. Some things that slow down the computer big time are:

-large brushes
    -large canvas
    -heavy use of multiple layers

If you have no problem for your 'style', then there is no need to upgrade your computer.

But if you have a problem with slowdown, then I'd suggest getting a computer with more power (ram, cpu, video,etc). There's simply no way around it if someone needs faster painting.

Cheers

Doug

There are programs that enlarge pics pretty well. They're usually pricey unfortunately for the narrow function of pretty much enlargement only (I believe). Good if you need it a lot. And I've only had a passing trial acquaintance with them so I can't speak for the needs of others.

The one I tried, Genuine Fractals for the Mac seemed to do the job of enlarging without degradation, unless it was already an image that was degraded and showing fringing at the small scale.

Can one carefully enlarge pics and still have them work without these kinds of programs? Depends on your situation I suppose. With some of the Photoshop filters, one can add a very minimal surface blur and sometimes hide minor pixelation. But again, it depends on the case and your criteria. And if it works, great. If not, oh well.

I looked into Genuine Fractals precisely because AR in an early incarnation could not handle pics at a suitable size for my needs. Right now, I have a far faster computer with a lot more memory.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Good Luck
    That's why I try to find out what new hardware at least I need.

Maybe I should use a computer from the future like you did
    because the P4 was introduced by Intel in November 2000.

The problem is I can not work on small images and then scale them larger at the
    end, because I recolor scanned sketches and they come in that size and sometimes
    the outlines shall be preserved.
    Changing the size of those lines would lower quality dramatically.

By the way it is easy to scale color gradients to a much larger size without losing quality,
    but when you scale lines you can forget making them larger than
    factor 2, because you will get evil antialised ugly steps in the lines.
    I know 11 scaling methods, but only 2 of them work quite well. If you
    use a software that uses one of then 9 inferior methods, your image
    gets ruined anyway.

I use AR3pro on a P4, 2,8GHz, 2GB Ram and have to use brushes over 100% size for
    large image areas like the sky. And then I have the slowmotion effects.

it was really ugly when I tried to make the finish on a 6000x8000 pixel image.
    I know ArtRage is more for working on screen size and not on print size - sigh!

Regards.
    Last edited by narf; 02-15-2010 at 02:07 AM.