ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Frances

Frances

First post here... just getting started with the program. Mostly have focused on the boy Frances ...a character in a story I've written, still work to do on the background. I've no art background, so any constructive tips etc. greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrancesEggTree.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	40840  
    Last edited by kirstenr; 01-30-2010 at 08:09 PM.

This is awesome, beautiful illustrative technique. I would love to see more.

Hi Wonderful and funny painting i like your style
    Visit my website here

You should spend more time on art, and less writing stories

awww that's sweet!!! Very touching picture! Nicely done

Btw, how did you come up with the bark on the tree? Did you use a stencil? I'm currently working on an image that has a tree in it and it certainly could use a touch like this!

I love the shape of the tree branch-its overhang, or droopiness (where is Roget's when you need it?); it reinforces the sadness you pick up from the boy's body language.

Nice

I like this picture. Its very nicely done. The only thing I would say is put some texture in the grass. You worked hard on the tree and you can see the texture in that, but the grass is like a plain sheet. Don't get me wrong though, its a wonderful picture.

Red face unsolicited advice

Hi Kirsten. I understand that you are probably looking for technical advice and as I am probably even newer than you to this, I can't offer any feedback in that direction. I am HOWEVER, a HUGE illustrated children's books fan and would love to offer some thoughts re composition.

I strongly believe that illustrations should tell the story as much as the words, and at first I thought that I would like to know how this picture relates to the story before commenting. But maybe it is better that I don't know, perhaps if I tell you what the picture says to me, then that would be more helpful(?)

So...

This picture tells me about a little boy about 5-7yo. He looks sad, and dejected although the line coming from nose to chin makes him look a little bit like he is cross. He is alone and probably feeling the same way. The barren landscape underlines that sense of loneliness to me. There may be a connection to the tree as it plays a large part in the composition and the bow bends over the boy in an almost protective manner. Some shadows under his feet and behind his back would 'ground' him to the picture, but at the moment it feels slightly surreal and suggests a feeling of not belonging.

I hope I haven't overstepped the mark. I am passionate about children's books and just can't help myself.

Good luck with the project, I would very much like to see more as it progresses. I love Frances btw, he reminds me very much of a little guy I teach - you have captured the essence of a young child very well