ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: My 1st Figurative

My 1st Figurative

Hi,

I have used ArtRage for only 2 months and are learning very slowly. Please feel free to give me the comments on this unfinished work.

Thanks,

Jasminek
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It helps to desaturate your painting so it is in grayscale, and check if it works that way. If it does not, you need a better tonal composition. Brightness levels are more important than colors in a picture. Color adds primarily emotional things, tone creates the space.

Here you've got low contrast between the figure and the background, for example. The background overpowers the foreground. You should darken the background, or wash it out, or consolidate its color, or do something like that, so the figure is more visible.

I notice you avoid the contours a lot, making them. fuzzy. The things you paint don't touch each other. Don't be afraid of that; such contacts are what you use to define the form, you need them.

I can recommend looking at books by Andrew Loomis, find them at http://fineart.sk - start with "Fun with the Pencil" and look at "Creative Illustration" for tips on color work.

Hi Jasminek

I'm not qualified to make any suggestions for improving the painting, and it looks like it's off to a good start, but I do have one comment. I've noticed all (or most) of your paintings have the big watermark/logo displayed very prominently and I find it a little distracting. It seems to make the watermark the subject, and the painting just background. Maybe if you made the logo a little smaller, or reduced the opacity we could focus on your artwork...

Just a personal opinion, and I mean no offense at all
    Last edited by 337_lee; 01-31-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    I don't have digital... I don't have diddly squat
    It's not having what you want... it's wanting what you've got

Hi,

I really appreciate the comments from both of you. No offense is taken.

I do have problem with foreground and background and your advice is really appreciate.

Thanks again.