ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: (finger)drawing only works for fast movements

(finger)drawing only works for fast movements

I have the problem that on my dell xt2 drawing with my fingers only works when i move the finger while starting to draw. After I have begun the stroke i can slow down, speed up, and stop while touching but to start drawing a line the finger has to be moving at some speed, you can't touch the screen and then start moving which is kind of odd. The stylus however works great.

Software:
    Windows 7 32bit
    Dell Controlpoint (latest version/1.3)
    N-Trig Driver (latest version/2.39)
    Artrage 2.5 Starter Edition

thx for any help

It sounds like there is something interfering with the tablet information coming from your finger stroke, it's possible that until you move your finger a reasonable distance the system is intercepting the touch and waiting to see if you're doing a right click by holding, for example.

Without knowing the exact details of the control panels made available by your drivers it's hard to be precise, but could you check your control panel and see if in any of the tablet or touch settings you have options like 'click and hold for right click' turned on? If so, try turning those off temporarily to see if they work.

The other potential solution is to try disabling Ink Services in ArtRage, this may cause the additional touch services to be ignored and use our standard tablet input. In ArtRage 2 this can be achieved by adding a file called 'no_ink.inf' to the Resources folder of the Program Files/Ambient Design/ArtRage 2 Starter Edition folder.

Download this file:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/files/no_ink.inf ( right-click, 'save link as' if using FireFox )

Place it in ArtRage's resources subfolder

e.g. c:\program files(x86)\ambientdesign\artrage 2\resources\ <-- file goes here

That may help.

We're looking at wrapping some of the changes made for touch devices in Studio in to 2.5 at the moment as well.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I tried both and disabling the "tap-and-hold" rightclick didn't help, however the inf file did (at first it didn't cause firefox automatically saved it as txt). I also tried ArtRage 3 Demo and disabling ink services via the preferences also did work, however the checkbox for that seemed to be returning to its original state when reopening the preferences menu (maybe a bug). I don't really know how this option works but it may be a good idea to enable it by default if Win 7 and a N-Trig digitizer is found on the machine.

thx

Thanks for the info Xstream. The checkbox not updating on ArtRage 3.0.5 is a bug and will be fixed when 3.0.6 is released. The actual option is being updated, but the ArtRage interface is not correctly reflecting the change currently.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design