ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter

An Open Letter

Dear ArtRage Forum Members,

It saddened me to see "It is notable that since the release of the new version the forum isn't as open and accepting as it used to be." posted, and yet, I understand the sentiment behind it. It may be true to a certain extent in light of the fact that there are now so many new members here who have no historic knowledge about what a caring, supportive, encouraging, and friendly community this has always been.

We who are "veterans" are very personally in touch with what this community has been. That having been said, nothing ever stays the same and we must accept the fact that these forums are probably never going to be the same because of the influx of new artists caused by the well deserved success of AR3.

I am not the first to admit that I can no longer keep up with the amount of new art being posted here. Those of you who have known me throughout my nearly three years here know me to be someone who has always tried to comment often and welcome every new member. That's just not possible anymore. But is that a bad thing? I don't think it is.

It has gotten to the point where the AR forums are no longer the domain of the AR forum members who were here to see it grow. These forums are now the domain of a world-wide audience who have recently discovered that ArtRage is the most natural digital art creation program that can be purchased at any price. Those of us who were here to see that were all witness to an amazing process of evolution.

Now, by way of passing a sort of artistic torch, I want to say to all the new members that this has always been a place of respect and encouragement for artists of all levels. This has always been a place for artists to receive praise for just trying to find their artistic "center" without fear of being judged for not being professional. Everyone is an artist and a work in progress in their own right in their own particular way and if we forget that "art" always has been and always will be a subjective form of communication then we forfeit the right to call ourselves artists and sink to the level of mean criticism.

This community was founded on blind faith. The Rage Brothers, in their own words, were afraid that it would end up being a "ghost town". Little did they know what wonderful seeds they had sown and what a truly remarkable community would grow from that effort.

So I charge you, each and every old member, to remember what you have helped build here, and be justifiably proud and continue to be the backbone of this community.

New members, I can only trust that each of you will help us build on this wonderful foundation. You have become part of something that is quite remarkable and admirable. Treat both it and its members with respect, and never forget to enjoy your art and share it with us. We are here for you and once you post your first image, you are family.
    Last edited by RobertSWade; 01-28-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Respect, Robert.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Thank you Hans.

Good on you Robert, i agree wholeheartedly
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Very well said, Robert, except my big thank you for this open letter.

Juz, I remember when you were just a little artrager. Now you're an all grown up ArtRager. You've contributed so much to this community in that time.

AT-TA, you are one of the rising stars here.

You are both examples of what happens when a community accepts new members.

Thank you both.

Thumbs up

Robert,

I am one of the new ArtRagers. I not long ago posted my first painting on this forum and I was very pleased to read critiques instead of criticisms, and an real desire by the members to encourage me further. I plan to add more pictures as I complete them. I've only been on the forums for about a month and a half and I feel comfortable here. I hope this continues and Robert I agree with you completely.

Rob

In case I neglected to say it elsewhere, welcome to here Rob. The contributions of each and every artist are what have made this forum what it is along with the spirit of support that has always been the hallmark of this community. I'm so proud that newcomers still feel that.

I'm pleased you have posted this open letter. I read the same phrase you quoted, "the forum isn't as open and accepting as it used to be", and actually began to start a new thread to say I disagreed, but abandoned the idea because I felt it was not my place, since I've only been around for a month or two.

It's apparent to even us newbies that there has been a change in the last month or so. It should also be equally obvious this is only because there appears to be a lot of new members, all of who are excited to post their new creations and get some friendly feedback.

I have seen posts by "veteran" members apologizing for not welcoming new members, or not being able to post a comment because of the increase in traffic. Hey, veterans, don't worry about it! Even though I moved into the artrage "village" as it was growing into a "city" it was obvious this was absolutely the friendliest, encouraging forum I have ever been to.

The very fact that forum members are concerned that someone has chosen to leave, or are saddened that the forum may not appear to be as accepting as it once was, does nothing but verify the wonderful atmosphere this forum has managed to maintain, even through it's recent growing pains.

I apologize for the long reply. I just felt it necessary to add my voice as a newbie that the artrage forum is still a great place to be, and I hope that never changes.

Lee
    I don't have digital... I don't have diddly squat
    It's not having what you want... it's wanting what you've got

Thank you Lee. I sit teary eyed at your response.
    Not only at the heartfelt response to my posting but to the way your message conveys that you, and others like you, will carry on the spirit of the ArtRage forums.