ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DragonArt.com tutorials

DragonArt.com tutorials

Don't let the name fool ya'...there's tons of drawing tutorials at this site for more then dragons....

http://www.dragoart.com/

Check it out. Ya' won't be dissappointed....

I checked a dozen random lessons out.

They all are very formulaic, along the lines of "draw some circles and lines, then magically add facial features and the rest." No explanation of why you are supposed to do all that. No notion of volume, perspective, anatomy, construction, composition...

In addition, nearly all of them are very badly drawn. (With this kind of approach you can't expect anything else, though. The better-drawn ones were clearly attempts to retrofit someone else's art.)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is completely useless. The approach that site promotes is actually harmful.

If you want to learn the basics, get "Fun with the Pencil" by Loomis from fineart.sk and give this site you've found a wide berth.

For some, drawing is just for the fun of creating an image that represents something they enjoy. It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to feel good for them to do and show. Like dancing. I can't "dance" like those experts on TV, but if there's a dance floor I can step on, I'm going to do my thing.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Cool link Kenmo! Thanks!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchism71 View Post
    Cool link Kenmo! Thanks!
    I agree! Its interesting to see how people create in different ways.

Great site; categorized painstakingly!
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore

"For some, drawing is just for the fun of creating an image that represents something they enjoy."

True. But for some, it's about self-improvement and self-discovery. The fun of creating an image that represent something is just extra flavoring.

That's why it saddens me to see people encouraging others to follow the rigid formulaic things instead of learning real ways to do it that lead to your personal enrichment.

If you follow one of these tutorials, you've memorized a rote sequence of placing some circles and lines and getting something like a likeness. Whoop de doo. If you follow a real lesson in drawing basics, it may go slower than instant gratification, but then what you get is not a memorized routine, but a liberating ability.

Besides, these tutorials are smashingly frustrating for a beginner. Look closer. "Put in these circles and lines. Now draw facial features on top of the small circle." Hello? Don't you notice the leap there?

How the hell is the total newbe going to know how to get the facial features right if you have to instruct them on the level of memorized lines and circles, instead of observed proportions and forms?

Worse, these "tutorials" can make an impression in a total beginner that this is how you draw. Which couldn't be further from the truth, but it can hurt them for life if they decide to pursue art further than these routines.

Bad, bad stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    For some, drawing is just for the fun of creating an image that represents something they enjoy. It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to feel good for them to do and show. Like dancing. I can't "dance" like those experts on TV, but if there's a dance floor I can step on, I'm going to do my thing.
    Very well said, Someonesane! Very well said!
    @arenhaus: You are so annoying with all that "mentoring" recently, i'll gladly put you on my "Ignore" list.
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

@arenhaus: I see no reason for you to disapprove on how someone learns to draw/sketch/doodle. There is no right or wrong way to draw a dragon or anything else for that matter. It is all in the eye of the artist. I have ADD and Depression so my thought processes are a lot different that most people. seeing different ways to do something helps me process a way for me to do what I want.

If you did not like the original post just pass it buy no one has to reply to everything. I am not trying to start a fight with anyone here. Just remember everyone is different and learns differently.

Shawn

Surely everyone learns differently. You are obviously entitled to ignore my posts if you don't like what I say, and make your own mistakes if you think that is more valuable.

I am just posting evaluations for those who want to learn the easy way, not fumble around in the dark.

Not all lessons are created equal, this is not an ideal world. If something is good for learning, I recommend it. If something is counterproductive, I warn about it. I use my own experience in self-learning to do the evaluation. Take it or leave it.