ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Makehuman - free Poser type app

Makehuman - free Poser type app

Makehuman is an interesting app to keep an eye on. It's a 3D app for creating characters, kind of like Poser or Daz Studio. It's free and opensource. An alpha copy is available for downloading and playing with... However some of it's features are not fully working yet....

http://www.makehuman.org/blog/index....st=s1210866244

Might be a good app to use to help to create character references for some of your paintings....

MakeHuman program

Kenmo

Hey i DOWNLOADED IT. I tried it....very nice so far but it still lacks a good user interface. I did an rendering with it. OK. BUT I could not find a way to move/pose the arms etc. strange but it will be a very nice 3d program soon I am sure. I am continuing to work with it to learn more.

Thanks for the heads up on this program...

Bobby Ray Howle

I suspect that MakeHuman is only a body mesh generator, not a poser. So, to pose the mesh, you need another app (say: Poser?).

I'm too looking for something like a "wood mannequin replacement" and it seems that Poser is the unique solution. But they want a lot of bucks to give me a tool that I'll never use to its fullness.
    Umberto

I have bookmark this link. The project website says posing is disabled in the current release. They announce a full featured version for later in this year. So keep the eyes open - finally the art rage community is wait approved

Remember that google is your friend :
    http://alternativeto.net/desktop/poser-pro/

Seems like DAZ Studio exists in a free version, I was looking to test it yesterday, but I hadn't had time ...
    http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/daz_studio3?_m=d
    If you have the time, then please tells me what it worth

Quote Originally Posted by uuderzo View Post
    I suspect that MakeHuman is only a body mesh generator, not a poser. So, to pose the mesh, you need another app (say: Poser?).

I'm too looking for something like a "wood mannequin replacement" and it seems that Poser is the unique solution. But they want a lot of bucks to give me a tool that I'll never use to its fullness.
    Take a look at DAZ Studio 3...There's a free version that should do everything you want if not you can purchase their commercial version, DAZ Studio 3 Advanced....

http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/daz_studio3?_m=d

DAZ has free character models and props...

Here's a render I did using the free DAZ dragon. DAZ has it's own rendering engine but I opted instead to render in Vue....

Last edited by kenmo; 01-27-2010 at 04:22 AM.

MakeHuman is a model generator, not a posing tool. You'll need some other program like Poser to use the models it makes.

Generally, however, I don't recommend using such models for reference. They do terrible things to anatomy.

I usually can detect that Poser was used in a picture within the first three seconds of looking at it, by the formulaic way the figure deforms.

I think Makehuman will integrate nicely with Blender3D...Within Blender you should be able to rig and pose your character.....

just a side note: kenmo that 3D turned out beautifully. love the depth and clarity even in the night atmosphere of that piece. love the job you did on that dragon.

Hi Likoum,
    I checked yesterday DAZ 3d ... and have delete it today. Maybe I'm to old for that kind of application. At first I don't understand the user interface (from time to time I also test blender - there is it the same). The second thing (maybe related with the first point) I don't have got a human figure after 10 minutes.

Because I want the programm only for inspiration and assist in complicated posing situations ... I decide not to be in the mood to learn something like that. And so (as a spare time painter) I started ArtRage and use the time to improve my skills in painting