ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Crashed When Using Filter

Crashed When Using Filter

I crashed two times (different dates) when using FILTER from Misterpaint's Sweet Dream on 2800 x 1800

First crash: when using SELECT to COPY and PASTE on selected area, then FILTER. Crashed.

Second crash: all my panels references ( I scaled panels down to smaller size, tear off edge, 10% rotate and Jauntify) are gone after crashed and back to default setting. this crash happened after I use the FILTER.

RAM: 2GB

Hi Pai, the filtermeister software that MrPaint uses to construct filters is still in beta. It's therefore likely the problem is the filter and not AR3.
    http://www.filtermeister.com/
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thanks Juz for the info. It looks like is the cause. Do you know where I can get the similar filter (if free is possible), just that "sweet dream" effect is all I need. I am working on some photos and this filter saves a lot of time than I use the Airbrush (i use stencil and frost blend to create similar effect) My PC is slow for that airbrush when working on big file. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Adobe grew disinterested in supporting 3rd party plugin filters a while back and so its now hard to find many good ones at all (commercial or free). They used to offer 'filter factory' as a development platform and there were 1000's of crashy/buggy filters flood the market and they stopped offering/supporting it. Filtermeister appeared as an alternative development platform for PS filters as the creator was not really happy with how 'code based' the old filter factory from adobe was. It really is the only development platform out there for making custom photoshop filters easily. Adobe does offer a scripting interface for photoshop but as its not very good not many plugz get written that way.The only other method for developing PS plugz is writing them from the ground up in Visual C++ or similar. The better plugins (cost money) are built this way.

You could try out some from
    http://photoshop.pluginsworld.com/pl...ware=photoshop but you are again taking a risk as to whether they are coded well or not and a lot of them also use the filtermeister dev platform which as pointed out is a beta.
    You can easily tell filters written in filtermeister as they all have a similar look to the dialog. They all use the old style windows system controls eg/ preview window on left, sliders on right, old windows progress bar underneath.

When I used to use crashy plugz in photoshop I would save often expecting the crash. If you need the effect of the plug you may have to live with the crashes, just as long as its not taking your work with it.
    Last edited by Juz; 01-19-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Hello Juz, thanks for all these input and knowledge about filter. I never know anything about or fond of photo editing stuffs. Until AR3, I play around with the new tools with photos. Recently work on few ones and then applied that filtermeister effect at the end. My friends like them, so I get requests to do some more (will post them later) and I want to do them faster. It's something new for me and I found AR3 really opens up this new fun. I guess I just need to re-think different ways to create some effect from AR3. And also live with the crash. I will check that link you provide. Thanks again for your help on this.

Thanks for the report! We'll take a look at this here to see if we can track down possible causes.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I have the plugin now. If anyone gets a crash, please let me know the steps that led up to it e.g. painting dimensions, filter settings and at what point you had the problem so that we can see if there's anything that can be done to improve the situation from ArtRage's end.

if anyone has a document they get a crash in when using this plugin, let me know and I'll look at getting a copy to reproduce it here.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Red face

okay, I have also crash by some filters (50% of my Photoshopfilters does not run) ...

I get the dialog that: The procedure entry point pidmwinexpressdialog can not be located

I have all important dlls

msvcrt.dll
    msvcrt40.dll
    msvcrt10.dll
    msvcrt20.dll
    plugin.dll

on windows/system32

If you're using the filters that come with Adobe Photoshop you will probably find many of them fail to run. Those filters often use internal parts of the Photoshop filter system that are not made available to external developers so that may be causing the problem here.

It also appears that this could be caused if there was an installation problem when the filters were installed. The filter is looking for a function it needs and cannot find. Reinstalling Photoshop has been suggested in other cases like this but I'm not sure if that would help here.

If you're using third party filters and they are crashing, could you let us know which ones and we can look in to it.

Unfortunately there's not much we can do if filters are trying to use functions that aren't documented. We have tried to support as many of the default filters as possible but there are some that won't operate. We try to spot and avoid crashes wherever possible but again sometimes we don't have enough information to avoid them.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.