ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism

Vegetarianism

So I spoke to my mum today, and asked her if it was okay if I became a vegetarian, she said yes, 'cos she used to be one.
    I watched a video that made me realise how wrong it was to eat animals.
    So, what are your views on vegetarianism?

P.S. I didn't eat much meat anyway, so it won't impact my health.

I have been one for 40+ years for the same reasons, and though I did not become one for health reasons, my health at age 56 is very good. It is much more challenging to be a Vegan and forego any animal products. I eat dairy and eggs, and I get plenty enough protein without eating tons of either.
    Good luck on your endeavor, and if I could give one bit of advise, I refuse to discuss it at a meal with anyone-I just make some little joke and go on, later if someone really wants to know I will talk to them. But it can cause people to take offense and start arguments while eating, not a good idea!
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

I am a vegan and have found it to be no problem for me.My hubby on the other hand eats meat lol but I have made quite a few vegan desserts,main dishes that he loved.He now only will eat vegan Tamales not the real ones.I never force my food choices on anyone but if they want to try something I have made then I am all for it.I am perfectly healthy and don't feel like I am missing out on anything I eat never liked meat at all so it wasn't a biggie with me to go Vegan 25 years ago.

Hi Weeun,

I am vegetarian for months and realize that I should not have waited that long.

I fully agree with Rob: discuss about it before or after, but never during meal.

When all your parents and friends know about your decision, it will go smoothly.

Good continuation !
    Old

Vegetarism is cruel

I am a plant lover.

I think vegetarism is cruel, because plants do not even have the chance to run away when someone tries to eat them.

All carnivores eat meat without regret. A lion or grizzly would not hesitate to eat you when they are hungry.

Wenn all people and all carnivores would now stop eating meat the earth will be doomed in a short time because of overpopulation. The herbivore population would increase instantly and they would eat all plants in shortest time and then all will starve to dead.

It will be like a plague of locusts. How these end we all know.

Last year a was on a diet because of health reasons. During that I eat not enough meat only Tofu on most occasions. After 2 month I had to stop the diet because I lost 3 kilos of muscle mass. The remaining muscles became like pudding - I could grab through them as if they were not there.

In my next diet attempt I will eat plenty of meat.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Quote Originally Posted by narf View Post
    I am a plant lover.
    In my next diet attempt I will eat plenty of meat.
    I know that you were joking in your post, but actually, humans are not herbivores or carniverous-we as a species are omnivores-we can eat either plants or meat. That's one of the reasons why the human species has been so adaptable and survived.

Vegetarian for 14 years now... "ovo lacto", so I do eat eggs and milk (but neither raw :-). Nothing resembling health problems from it. Remember the magic equation: Beans plus wheat, or beans plus rice. Either way you get complete protein.

When I first switched, I'd mention it and people would get really defensive... not sure why, I guess there were more "militant vegetarians" a dozen years ago. So I started saying, "I'm a small-V vegetarian -- I don't care what YOU eat!" to sort of break the ice. Got a chuckle or two, but often people didn't pay attention to what I said anyway... go figure!
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Dear Weeun,

Thank you for sharing your perspective and your choice.

I am an omnivore. I try to be "balanced" in my diet. It includes a small percentage of meat and other animal products. When contemplating the wonders and mystery of our existence it has always left a mark in me to observe that the continuance of the line of all living creatures includes the consumption of some other living creatures. Eventually all living things, including us, become food for other living things in a perpetual cycle of life and death and new life again. For me it is one of the enduring mysteries.

I try to be mindful of this mystery and consider that any food I consume, animal or vegetable, gave up its life in order that mine continues. It is a context for me for being thankful and respectful about where the nourishment that sustains me comes from.

I lack the wisdom to make moral judgments on the rights or wrongs on how God or Nature constructed this perplexing paradox. But it feels right for me to give thanks for the food that is on my table, to give thanks for the life that is in it that will continue to give life to me.

Someday nature will take my body and pass it on to other living creatures transforming the material aspects of me into new forms of life. I can't claim to understand any of it. But the observation of it always leaves me with a sense of awe and wonder, and in my better moments compassion for the plight of all living things.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 01-05-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spellign
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

It is important to keep to a cultured diary if being a vegetarian because the live bacteria (pro-biotics) is very important to have. Anything non-cultured is not much good, The best milk is raw milk, it is more pricey but it is best to have it in this form. I do not react well to most milk so i try to stick with Soy and Rice when i can. Complete proteins are very important when excluding meats, make sure you get a high yield. Best to have the majority of your calories in the morning hours.

Also have a good mix if beans and legumes along with whole rich grains. You can get up to 17 grams of protein, equal that with the same grams of fiber and 32 grams of carbs, you just made a complete meal. Produce is very important, colors are good and dark greens. If anyone has gluten trouble with wheat, try millet, spelt, quena, and other exotic grains. I try to stick with sprouted bread as much as i can. Better then any junk bread out there that has been processed, bleached and what ever else done to it.

I used to be a full-on vegetarian for a a few months until i lost work and now that i am temporarily living with my folks i have to eat what they eat, lots of meat and processed breads with simple carbs which the body converts into sugars. They do get me some things every now and then within there budget so i am at least thankful for that. Drink lots of water to until you fell like you are going to explode. This is one thing most people leave out, water.

Fiber is extremely important, keep your bowels clear and you will be grateful later on in your older years. They say the colon is the window to your health or something like that. Keep an emphasis on raw/whole foods. Get a 17 bean mix with legumes, good protein yield. Pick up some apples, mangos, and oranges which actually cuts out sodium effects. Try to buy organic as much as possible as we do not need those pesticides in out diets. Try and support local growers and if you meet any emphasize the importance of growing without pesticides, using hormones, or antibiotics.

If anyone is going to stick with meats, try to get the leanest possible and stick with organically grown if it is affordable. Get free-range, grain feed organic eggs. The same goes for meats. Get those cows to be free, eat grains and keep them happy. Best to eat light in the evening hours and eat nothing like three hours before bed time. If you feel hungry have a glass if water as water curbs hunger. I have to wonder if our sleep loss epidemic is partially due to this.

One reason for me personally why i am with this diet is i just feel better, have more energy and another is i am watching my Dad slowly deteriorate before my eyes and he is a junk food junkie and pharmaceutical pill popper.