Thread: Critique please

Gallery
    View images

Critique please

Your opinion and advice is most welcome. I'm still trying to find my way around 3
    This snow scene is my first attempt at scenery, I was trying out different brushes and effects and before i knew it i had a picture lol.
    The ice cream happened because i was craving one lol
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gallery
    View images
    Well, I am amused by the idea.

If the white lower half is meant to be snow, you should add some subtle shadows, blue for this environment, to show that it's not empty paper.

The left half of the composition is a bit empty. Maybe add a few subtle grass stalks poking through the snow, as a counterweight?

Gallery
    View images
    ... P.S. I think I've mistaken your two pictures for one.

Gallery
    View images
    I really like the cone. Just got back from the mall.
    The mountain in the snow scene seems to end at the tree. Maybe if it was on a layer you would have comleted it to the edge.
    The tree on the left is so light it fades into the background.
    Other than that I really like the colors and wish I could define things as well as you do. Very nice.

Gallery
    View images
    Here are some crits:

Winter scene:
    I think the white cloud overpowers the whole image. Perhaps tone it down a bit? Try to see if you can make the tree "pop" a bit more. It might be interesting to have the tree as the focal point of the image and let the viewer focus on the clouds/sky secondarily.

Try studying actual snow. I have never seen that blue in the nature during the day. Let it be dull, almost nondescript, with only very small variations in value.

Ice cream:
    I'm not sure what kind of style you are aiming for, but let's suppose a bit more "realistic". To do that, you have to know your subject well. The nicest part of the current version is the shade of pink you found. I think it fails on shading, though.

Take a look at [1], [2] and [3]. Note how the ice cream behaves. Taken to proper lighting (second image), nice speculars appear. You can see that the speculars are more muted in the third image taken inside. Still there is some diffuse shading going on that articulates the shape. The first image shows how velvety ice cream can be.

About the cherry, please take a look at [4]. Isn't that a tasty cherry? For me, the main points to notice are the strong color and the way speculars behave in this case. Cherry appears to have specular that's almost plasticky.

I think you can provide a much better texture for the cone part. See the reference images above.

Conclusion
    I hope the above gave you some ideas on how to proceed. I'm looking forward to your improvements.

Gallery
    View images

Cool

Thank you all so much
    Brebraw i couldnt help laughing when you said I should study snow...I spent almost all my adult life living north of the 60th parrallel, northern Canada, in places like Yukon, western arctic, and the 'barrenlands' of the eastern arctic. Believe me there is never such a thing as 'nondescript' snow. Snow has colour, it glistens, sparkles, and depending on the timeof day can range from purest white to shades of pink, purple, blue and greys. Snow crystals can be very fine or very course, each type reflecting light differently.
    And the sky, oh lord ive seen delightfully clear skies of brilliant blues, slate grey, shades of green, clouds that looked like huge marshmallows, or soft trailing feathers. No smog from industries to muddy the colours.
    Nothing in nature is ever dull or uninteresting.
    Even here on the prairies were i live now,
    there are few trees and no mountains, you can see for miles in any direction, everthing is covered in snow, but there is a multitude of shapes and colour in the landscape
    Ive revamped the pic..called it Top of the Hill
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    moosie: I hope I wasn't too harsh with my critique. I think the tree you just added evens up the composition nicely.

You are right about snow, it can have different composition based on weather and surrounding conditions. It was just a reaction about that specific blue!

Gallery
    View images
    lol. no not at all brebraw, i'm very much appreciate the input from everyone
    I've never taken an art course, nor held a brush in my hand, so this is all new to me...oh i've used graphics programmes foryears, but artrage has opened a whole new world for me... I'm just flyin on a wing and a prayer here but its so addictive!