ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A Painting for My Mum...

A Painting for My Mum...

So, I decided to paint something for my mum, for her birthday, but I don't know what to paint!
    Any ideas?
    She loves horses and dogs, but I'm not very good at them, I want to paint something beautiful and graceful, but not hard to paint.

This is traditional, and I was wondering...
    I have a watercolour sketchpad, and oil/acrylic canvases, and I want to use watercolours, would the watercolour sketchpad be best?

(P.S. If you have any tips for painting with watercolour, I'd love to hear them! I'm a bit of a newcomer to watercolours...)
    Last edited by weeun; 12-08-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Dear Weeun,
    As a parent, I can assure you that whatever you create for your Mum ... she will love.
    While you can use canvas for watercolours I think you'll find watercolour paper to be much more forgiving. It's not hard to find watercolour sites that will give you tips and ideas. Just use Google or Bing or YouTube.

Wow! Thank you very, very much IrishRose!
    I think I'll try those ornaments! They look really cool!

When I was a lad, faced with such questions, I would paint a mummy. I was into monster movies, a detail that was lost on me mum.

In short, the painting is from you. The subject is probably less important. Show her what you can do, and that you really are an artist, if that is still a question between you.

Maybe paint something that would be personal to her that would go well in her environment on the wall or something. That's another way to look at it.

My dear sweet mum never really cared for my art. As I told you, she was jealous and looking at my art told her that she had given up her own dream of dancing or fashion or whatever. Weird. I gave up on personal gifts like that. My dad resented artists because it had nothing at all to do with golf. Giving my art to either was like giving them a really elegant physics equation. It meant nothing to them.

So I learned to not go there with either of them. That attitude of theirs will either make you very good or very bad as an artist.

But in general when giving art as a gift, it's an interesting thing. Me, I've never been able to paint non-commercially that way. It's better to paint what you like and when one of your works is admired by someone, that's the time to give it. Otherwise give them a gift certificate to Amazon or something.

Hopefully, if you still have a good relationship, and the supportive mom-daughter thing is in place, you should be on safe ground with whatever you paint if it is from you.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

There is no such thing as a mere cat. Ask any of them. Ask "What are you, pray tell?" They will look at you with incredulity and say "meeerreeerrrere cat!"

Something got lost in inter-species translation, I think.

Or were you talking about the Enchanter of old who used the meerkat as an avatar. . .of old?
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream