Page 67 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Byron's ArtRage Explorations

hi Bryon, it's so good that even you are busy, you still drop by and posted your amazing experiements on AR tools during beta. I especially like the last one and have blown up to see how you did it and what tools you used to make that. Can you make it again ..haha..i really like that 3D look and very artistic on the pattern to me. hope you can paint sometimes during relaxing time just few ten minutes for fun

More delicious treats, love them Byron.

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    No time to paint the last couple of weeks, so I am throwing up a few more doodles from testing in the beta early this year. These are more exercises than paintings. But they seem to have a little going for them so what the heck, here they are. As usual, they take on more dimension if you blow up and review from a distance.
    Levels. Like for clearing karma on certain vertically stacked levels, it's hard to clean it up whilst in it. But poking a hole through it, popping above and looking back down on it, it gives a whole different vantage point that makes the karma easier to clear up. Think pool cleaning walking around the pool with a net on a pole vs swimming around amongst the soggy leaves and debris trying to fish bits out. Talking about trying to attain altitude to deal with issues. This sort of reminds me of that.

Either that or it's a prisoner of a sheltered and over-protected childhood suddenly seeing daylight and poking a hole in a pet paradigm.

Or, it's tattooing oneself so completely (metaphor for getting trapped within a stylistic look at the world), breaking out of that conditioning to see the world in a very uncluttered, neutral way, beyond personal expectations, no matter how pretty. Giving Disraeli's Gears an overhaul, bravely, Ulysses.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

thanks all!!!

Sandy, Caesar, thank you both a bunch.

DA: Your review is poetry and a wonder in it's own right. Bushels of appreciation back at you.

Pia: Thanks so much, and following up on your post in your thread for more input on this third painting:

The background: About an eighth of the canvas was filled with tube paint laid out in precise ways, mostly blue with dabs of other color in select spots, and worked meticulously with various knife settings and the eraser to form an area that has the basic texture and distribution of color you see in the final.

Then I used the clone tool to mimic the area over the canvas.

Then I went back in with the knife and eraser over the entire field to make each area unique while uniformly tied together in what is hopefully a pleasing whole. [Yes, doing it again is straightforward, but you do have to "do it right" give or take. ]

The artifact is built first with glitter trapped in a "select" area on a separate layer and formed with the blur blender, a technique for getting these 3D looks.

Stickers were used to build design into the artifact, and the eraser used to carve out the channel and nuance its form.

The airbrush was used to create some shadow and some subtle color-variance in the background pattern for compositional reasons.

Then merge the layers.

The knife on various settings was used for final touch-ups including blur in select spots, and some judicious work with the eraser.

This is a fairly easy piece to develop. You just have to follow some methodical steps and it comes out fairly easy. These are fun to do because you can take them in so many directions. Often this would be a starting point for a more complex painting. But I liked how this resolved so left it alone. Thanks a lot for asking.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 04-27-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: seplling and paragraph spacing
    Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well.
    Thread with bunches of my AR paintings-conversations. Here

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    Pia: and following up on your post in your thread for more input on this third painting:
    The background: About an eight of the canvas, was filled with tube paint, mostly blue with dabs of other color in select spots, and worked meticulously with various knife settings and the eraser to form an area that has the basic texture and distribution of color you see in the final.
    Then I used the clone tool to mimic the area over the canvas.
    Then I went back in with the knife and eraser over the entire field to make each area unique while uniformly tied together in what is hopefully a pleasing whole. Yes, doing it again is straightforward, but you do have to "do it right" give or take.
    The artifact is built first with glitter trapped in a "select" area on a separate layer and formed with the blur blender, a technique for getting these 3D looks.
    Stickers were used to build design into it, and the eraser used to carve out the channel and nuance its form.
    The airbrush was used to create some shadow and some subtle color-variance in the background pattern.
    Then merge the layers.
    The knife on various settings was used for final touch-ups including blur in select spots, and some judicious work with the eraser. This is a fairly easy piece to develop. You just have to follow some methodical steps and it comes out fairly easy. These are fun to do because you can take them in so many directions. Often this would be a starting point for a more complex painting. But I liked how this resolved so left it alone. Thanks a lot for asking.
    Thanks so much Bryon. That's a lot of steps (counted almost over 15 steps?) to create such great 3D look. Never use the "clone" tool, don't know what it does. I have to check it out on manual first. I like the step which I never was in there. "Select" area and trapped with media. that is a very neat cool step.

You really make use of all AR tools. Again, thanks for taking from your busy time to explain to me. I have to try if I can make it

Thanks Pai. LOL, it hadn't occurred to me it was so many steps. But I guess it is a bit. However, each is pretty straight forward and fairly easy to accomplish, at least for execution. I suppose the harder part is staying centered on a composition that pulls together well with the accumulating steps. And of course, I'm reporting a bit how it unfolded, not necessarily that it was a grand plan then executed step by step. It's really not quite that pre-planned methodical. It's more like stumbling down the road methodical. LOL, yes?

Thanks a lot for feedback and questions. Much appreciated.

Love these latest ones Byron they are so inventive.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

It's really intriguing how you get these great effects Byron!

Great use of all the tools Byron, all looks great and fun isn't it

Jean, Robyn, Katie, as always, thanks a bunch.