Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed

Gallery
    View images

Advice Needed

Hello,
    I am looking at a few pieces of software trying to decide which one to get. As this is my first foray into digital art, I would appreciate advice from this forum. Here is what I want to accomplish with the images I take:
    1. have an automatic process of converting the image to a watercolor, oil or acrylic painting.
    2. to be able to vary what I see from this automatic process.
    3. to eventually learn how to paint digitally at some point using the previous method as a learning tool for me.
    4. to get the software at a reasonable cost in the event I decide not to pursue this avenue of expression.
    5. to avoid software that requires a steep learning curve initially such as PS even though I use CS2 for my photography.

This is roughly what I am looking for and I have assumed that many of you have traveled a similar route to arrive at your level of expertise. You have no doubt used many different pieces of software along the way and could advise me which is the best software to use based on my stated objectives above. I truly do need some help here and will be most appreciative of your suggestions. Thank you.

Kindest regards,

Tim

Gallery
    View images
    Photoshop may come close to converting your painting to a water colourish style but Corel essentials will do it better, it's designed to do it is why.

Artrage is the best and friendliest painting software of them all, for $25 is a sure bet your gonna love it

With the two combined and then Photoshop on top you'll have a full arsenal of tools to explore the realm of digital art.

I would suggest downloading a trial of Corel Painter Essentials, buying Artrage regardless and Having a Blast

welcome to the forums raven4ns

Corels Linky http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...2#tabview=tab6
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    I have Art Rage, Twisted Brush, and have had Corel before.
    Corel has the auto paint option. There are many different ones so I would advise you to download the free trial of the cheapest one and see if that is what you need.
    ArtRage still has the best forum of any of them. They also seem to be the friendliest and most active.
    At any rate, download any FREE trials you think may interest you and look at them. Google Digital painting or Auto paint programs and add the word free and you should find enough to keep you busy for awhile.
    then pick the one you like best.
    Above all HAVE FUN.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I have narrowed down the list I had and will need to reduce it further. There are other questions I know I will have so I hope you won't mind me posing them in this forum. Thank you again.

Tim

Gallery
    View images
    Well one thing you mentioned was a learning curve. Artrage is about the most user friendly painting app out there. So easy you can immediately grab a tool and begin painting. The settings are really straight forward for the tools and easy to grasp what they do. Children can catch on in no time. So that is a big plus there.
    Also a person can load a tracing image into artrage to work from or they can also load a reference image and it is pinned up for you to look at right inside the program. Cool feature.
    As for having a program that automatically turns a photo into art... I think you are looking for various filters for that. Most filters are too easily recognizable as such and don't really do that decent of a job.
    Really if you want to learn... buy artrage. Find a reference pic and just start drawing and painting with the various tools. Can't really see the benefit of having the computer do the work as an auto paint situation. Better to learn to draw and paint. And artrage is a great tool to do just that.

Gallery
    View images
    Speaking of which, while Painter does have an "auto-paint" feature, you won't be able to learn anything about painting from watching it or tweaking its settings. It does not work like a painter; it's just a sort of filter that applies brush strokes to an image in different ways.

To learn to paint, you must paint. Plain and simple. Get some brushes and two or three tubes of acrylic or casein paint, and some cheap canvas board. Start with black and white or black, white and red ochre first; after you master tonal painting, color will be easy for you.

If you don't know where to start, watching an automaton do it is the last place you want to look. Try a master class by a real painter, or get "Creative Illustration" by Loomis from fineart.sk - it contains sections relevant to painting.

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Raven, Hello!,,, maybe this won't help but it is a good trick to make a photo look like a painting, this is a web photo, very quickly smooshed over with the ArtRage Pallete Knife, the texture is a photo shop effect, very easy and fun, not watercolor though, have fun here
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    ,,quiet hee hee here, AR is sooo cool!!! Thank You Rose !!

Gallery
    View images
    I need to try that.
    Of course, I mentioned the Art Rag forum seems to be the best one of all the forums on anything I have found on the internet.
    That's not an advertisement but how I feel about it.

Gallery
    View images
    Hello,
    I am slowly reducing the list of possible software packages but I will get Artrage simply because of the price and the comments on here. It looks like I will be getting Painter Essentials4 or DAP although I am leaning towards PE4 for the flexibility it offers. I think those choices along with CS2 should give me everything I need to try this avenue of expression for my photography. Twisted Brush was another contender but for now I need to evaluate the choices I have made before considering other software. Thank you for your help and advice, it is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Tim