ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting ArtRage on Ubuntu 9.04 (Linux)

Putting ArtRage on Ubuntu 9.04 (Linux)

The search function in these forums is buggy so I was unable to find what I wanted. And yes I see the sticky at the top of the page, but the links in the thread do not work anymore. And a Google search has not helped me out at all.

So how is it that you get ArtRage working on Linux? Anyone?

Thanks in advance for all help!

Well 1stly welcome to the forums, 2ndly there's no need for the preempt to your question, we're all friendly around here, i can't remember the last time someone said use the search function or any other lame minded response to anyone's questions So.. Relaaxxxxxxx your in good hands here

I don't have the answer to your question, but there is bound to be a member who will pop in shortly with some experinece to share on the matter, failing that we have a great support service via Dave and the Rage Team who will help you out the best that they can

Again welcome to the forums, kick your feet up and enjoy the ride on the friendliest forum on the internet, i promise you'll enjoy it
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Thank You :]

Well thank you very much for the warm welcome, lol. You wouldn't believe how many forums I have joined and everyone responds with "there's already a thread use the SEARCH function"....<_< they're stupid and unhelpful.

I await the person that has ArtRage on their Linux system to come and help me out. In the meantime I guess I'm stuck with Gimp (which I don't really care for :[ )

Again thank you, and I will most definitely sit back and relax

Your Welcome and i know exactly what your talking about, i've been there and received those sort of comments myself, it's half the reason i said something about it, i'm glad you took it the right way

Now.... where are those Linux users dammit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

:P

Yeah I'm a good sport xD

Have you ever tried linux? The reason I got it was because my Toshiba Satellite A100/A105 Series laptop running Windows Vista was slow and really buggy and I just hated it. I wanted a Mac but I can't afford one so Linux is the next best thing, and I must say that it has kept me entertained for a very long time now. Lol.

Yeah..would be nice to get a hold of a Linux user, lol. Maybe I should try PMing the guy who made that thread a while back about it.

If Dave isn't a long shortly, it is the weekend there in New Zeland, then i would try contacting support here http://www2.ambientdesign.com/members/help.php generally, Dave and the Rage Team are very quick to reply to technical questions in this section of the forums

I tried linux once, i told it to install on a partition i created for it and it went and installed on my main drive, it is the only time i've lost all my info, i resigned to not touch it again lol
    Last edited by Silentman; 10-17-2009 at 11:08 AM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

Oh thank you very much! I will most def contact him/the team through that link. Thanks again.

Oh wow, that really sucks man. I've been trying to get it to replace Windows completely, but I've failed, lol. But now that I think about it, I need Windows for at least iTunes and Photoshop (can't get pen pressure to work in PS on Linux, only works in Gimp).

Hi Jarame!

You may find this thread helpful:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...p?t=86&page=15

To install ArtRage under wine:

wine msiexec /i xyz.msi ( where xyz.msi is the filename of the ArtRage installer )

You will also need gdiplus.dll which can be downloaded from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I believe this can be either placed in ArtRage's folder or in windows\system32\

I hope that helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Hi Jarame!

You may find this thread helpful:

To install ArtRage under wine:

wine msiexec /i xyz.msi ( where xyz.msi is the filename of the ArtRage installer )

You will also need gdiplus.dll which can be downloaded from here:

I believe this can be either placed in ArtRage's folder or in windows\system32\

I hope that helps!

Thank you, I'm sorry for this very late reply but my laptop crashed and neither Windows nor Ubuntu would work so I spent 3 days with a computer tech at the college I am attending to try and fix this issue. Laptop was successfully repaired just yesterday and I'm working on getting everything that was previously installed back onto my laptop.

Code:
    jarame@ubuntu:~$ wine msiexec /i artrage2.5starteredition_win.msi
    err:msi:copy_package_to_temp failed to copy package L"artrage2.5starteredition_win.msi"
    fixme:msi:MSI_OpenDatabaseW open failed r = 80030002 for L"artrage2.5starteredition_win.msi"
    I ran into this error. The link you sent me is a .EXE file from the microsoft page. Do I need to run that .EXE in Windows or in Linux?
    Last edited by Jarame; 10-24-2009 at 07:50 PM.

I've tried everything. I ran that .EXE file in the windows xp partition, copied the gdiplus.dll file to windows>system32 on both OS's, ran the "wine msiexec /i xyz.msi" command in the terminal, and all i get is the same errors.

So then i tried copying the Artrage installer in windows>system32 and got a diff error that said it wasn't the right format.

any help?
    Last edited by Jarame; 10-25-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling error