ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Portrait - Harriet 3mths

My First Portrait - Harriet 3mths

Ok due to the success of my "first landscape" I've decided that I will try a portrait.

My sketching has improved by trying to do this but this took me ages hopefully i will get quicker.

Since I'm going to try and paint this with oils I guess the detail doesnt need to be perfect and I tried to just capture her confused look really
    ... but thought I'd let the good souls of AR tell me if the sketch is good enough to continue or is something not right.

Now I just need to go and read the portrait, hair and eye tutorials ...and quick!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I live in a tecno world. A world of precision, accuracy and finites.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium (Just got it !!)
    PC - Quad Core, Vista, 22" Widescreen
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition
    My Gallery (for what its worth )

Very good start. It looks like the eyes are going to be the key to success in this composition, but you've got a solid foundation for that look.

thanks Felix, I'm trying to paint it now and have already realised that its nothing without the eyes being spot on

I guess It will have to be shelved for a bit until I get some eye practice in ha.
    Art is the opposite of that for me. I dont expect to be good and that is not my aim. I want to enjoy it and let my inner artist define its own art... here's hoping, where do I begin.....

--
    Right Hand.
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition

Man Portraits are hard!! I've only just put down the foundations of her skin/hair and eyes really.

Still loads to do but I'm not really enjoying it as its far to much like hard work

I thought I'd post because hey its the WIP thread

--
    Right Hand.
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition

Pretty good start fella, pretty damn good indeed
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    Pretty good start fella, pretty damn good indeed
    Cheers mate. I tell you what though its hard and I'm not really enjoying it. I hope that just because I'm having to work to hard to get anything close to right, maybe it will get more fun if i get better at it.

Next one (if there is ever another portrait, ever) I'll start on the eyes because without them its nothing. I'm happy with the eyeballs but have to really start on the eyebrows to try and give her a more confused look rather than the slightly frightend one she has ha ha.
    Then its back to the skin tone... to pink at the moment.

..I've been having nightmares about this one. I think i need to do some work for a rest

--
    Right Hand.
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition

This comes back to the point we made earlier, relax, forget about the complexities, the rules, and blah blah blah, and just experience painting, otherwise it's not fun, decide what you want to see as you go along, don't sweat the small stuff, and soon enough it will get easier to paint what and how you like, if you know what i mean, just relaaaaaxxxxx

Your painting could be finished right now, only you have the right to decide when it's finished and how it should look, the rest will either like or they won't and most often a mix of the two

You gave the best advice anyone could give you right here, i'm quoting you brother.

And as for making the same classed pictures as others, look around the gallery. There are hundreds of different styles of paintings. Some look like photos, others like blobs of paint.
    It doesn't matter your technical level what matters is you paint what you saw in your head. Do that and accept your current skill level as who you are now and stay enthusiastic.

and Amen to that

Alrighty enough of the prechin lol
    Last edited by Silentman; 09-15-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

you are indeed right sir.

I think the stress has been because I have been frustrated at the speed of painting it. I've turned off the clock and It'll be finished when its finished.

consider me a convert preacher

--
    Right Hand.
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition

Second session at trying to paint.

I've added the begining of her clothes and some small detailing.

The only thing that I am really un happy with is the skin coloring. I fear I may have to come back to it and try to change the coloring of her skin.

The temptation to photoshop at this point is great but I will resist.!!

--
    Right Hand.
    ArtRage 2 Wacom Edition

To me, and i'm no expert!! it looks like the skin needs more blending, it's still a bit blotchy, and that's what appears distracting to me, perhaps some of those painters around here that are very clever with facial texture can point Stephen in the right direction

Oh and btw she's a little beauty, you must be very proud and i bet she's the apple of your eye
    Hardrives - 320Gb main

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22