ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Couple of ideas: Multicolor loading and randomness

Gallery
    View images

Couple of ideas: Multicolor loading and randomness

Hi. I love Artrage, and I have a couple of ides to contribute:

1.) How about adding the ability to load the oil brush with more than one color at a time?

2.) I would like to see some way to add randomness to how the brush bristles interact with the canvas. I've tried to follow along with some of the PBS TV shows like Bob Ross etc. For doing that kind of nature painting, I've found that it depends alot on the brush making random marks as it hits the canvas...to simulate branches, leaves, bushes, etc. But, when I try it in ArtRage, all my brush dabs at the canvas make the same oval mark and so i can't achieve the right efect. Does this make sence?...It's hard to explain.

Thanks,
    Michael

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Michael.
    If you're using the full version of ArtRage 2.0, you can get some excellent 'stippling' effects on the dabs by turning the head loading down to around 7%, and reducing the thinners to about 8%
    Varying those values gives different effects and changes the 'blobbiness' of the paint.
    Regarding loading the brush with multiple colours: You can sort-of do this if you set aside a section of your canvas to mix colours. Switch off 'auto-clean' on the oil-brush, and do a stroke through your mixing area. The brush will pick up some of the colours from the mixing area, and when you do the next stroke it will have much of the colour from the mixing area.
    We need to work out a good way to represent what colours are currently on the head of the brush, so you can get an idea of what the next stroke would look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images

Stipple!

Stipple....that's the word I was looking for. The effects you have in the picture are what I was looking for for making bushes!! I think I'm having problems getting it to look that way because I use a large canvas size. Try it with a canvas size of 2200 x 1800. I use a large canvas because I like to print them out large (several sheets carefully glued together) and frame them. Maybe allowing the brush size to be larger would help?

Useing non-metalic glitter seems to work ok for the bushes also.

One area that may still be difficult is making branches on evergreen trees...the ones that are like big christmas trees. When they make them on the TV programs, they touch the brush to the canvas and then squish down at an angle to make a droopy limb. I'm finding it hard to get good results as fast as they do with a single dab. Though that may be more of my lack of talent...lol. Or is it that my graphic tablet can't really do that; it would have to register angle and pressure ( I use a Watcom Intuos 2). Maybe I need a different pen for the tablet?

Thanks,
    Michael

Gallery
    View images
    As far as loading multiple colors on the brush, I think this would be at least one possible argument for a mixing palette akin to the one in Painter IX. The thing I love most about P9's mixing palette is that when you pick up a color from it with the color picker, it picks up the surround colors as well, so in essence, you're literally dropping your brush into the paint on the palette, but without disturbing it, so to speak.

Just a thought.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by LoTekK
    As far as loading multiple colors on the brush, I think this would be at least one possible argument for a mixing palette akin to the one in Painter IX. The thing I love most about P9's mixing palette is that when you pick up a color from it with the color picker, it picks up the surround colors as well, so in essence, you're literally dropping your brush into the paint on the palette, but without disturbing it, so to speak.

Just a thought.
    Y'know... we here at Ambient Design wrote that mixing palette for Painter.
    The inspiration for it was when I was looking at an oil painting in a gallery here. The artist had painted a gull in flight in the distance. The wings were each painted with one stroke. The brush had been loaded from his mixing palette so the wing was lighter on the top, darker underneath.
    I thought it would be a great addition to a painting package to be able to do that.

ArtRage sort-of supports it with the dirty brushes. You could decide to use one corner of your canvas for mixing colours. Then turn off the 'Auto-clean' option, do a stroke through your mixing area to load the brush, (press 'undo' if you want to retain the mixing area without the stroke you did to load the brush - the brush will stay loaded with the mixed colours, however). Now do your stroke with the dirty brush. Repeat as necessary.

The main problem at the moment is with representing what colours are currently on the brush head - it makes it hard to predict what you'll see when you do the stroke. In the Real World, you can see the physical paint loading on your physical brush. It's harder to represent in a 2D world.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Y'know... we here at Ambient Design wrote that mixing palette for Painter.
    Ha! You guys rock!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    ArtRage sort-of supports it with the dirty brushes. You could decide to use one corner of your canvas for mixing colours. Then turn off the 'Auto-clean' option, do a stroke through your mixing area to load the brush, (press 'undo' if you want to retain the mixing area without the stroke you did to load the brush - the brush will stay loaded with the mixed colours, however). Now do your stroke with the dirty brush. Repeat as necessary.
    This is actually how I work with some of my sketches, but the cool thing about the P9 dedicated mixing palette is that you can pick up the mixed colors without disturbing the paint (as opposed to having to lay down more color, if using a portion of the canvas to mix).

I do see your point about the difficulty in representing what's actually been loaded on the brush, though. Maybe a brushtip thumbnail of sorts?

Come to think of it, why not represent the colors in the stroke thumbnail that represents the brush size? Right now that thumbnail already represents the size, as well as the physical properties of the brushstroke (ie. thickness, etc), so it would be a logical step to have it represent the color(s) currently loaded. That's what I reckon anyways.

Gallery
    View images
    i find it pretty friggin' awesome that everytime there's something cool in some other program, you guys wrote it! you guys DO rock! that easily explains why ArtRage is such a great program!

I also am someone who thinks coding is magic. I can't even fathom how typing on a keyboard makes it so i can smoosh paint together and mix it and make a colorful mess on my monitor.
    if it's not fun, what's the point?