ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way Off Topic

Way Off Topic

I have been looking into solar cooking. It takes no electric, or anything else. Only the sun.
    Google Solar cooking and you will see it.
    My question is, has anyone here ever tried and/or used it?
    Seems cheap to build and nothing to cook.
    We got the idea yesterday while we were cooking in the car waiting for the registration.

Sounds interesting Ken, what on earth were you cooking in the car lol
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Silentman.. Me! and my wife. We saw an article on he television awhile back about a family that cooked that way and didn't spend anything for the energy to cook their meals. It works sort of on the reverse principle of the headlight on a car that takes a spot of light and spreads it out. This concentrates the heat from the sun onto the cooking pots and cooks what is in them.
    They are being used in China, India and Africa now by the thousands. I plan to build one here to cut the gas an electricity costs down. Should work.
    As to if it is the same as microwave. It is not. Microwave takes electricity and converts that into electronic waves and cooks that way.
    I plan to make a reflector stove and use that for now. Only need a 3 X 4 foot piece of cardboard and some aluminum foil to make it along with Elmer's glue.
    http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/so...s_detailed.pdf
    That is the website to download a 58 page book on it.
    Only will cost me about $10.00 with the pan if we don't have a dark colored one.

I might have to look into this, good way to cook me good old damper mate hehehe
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

According to the map in their online book, it should work there. Enough sun and you are going into summer now so it may be the right time for you.
    I an NOT going to buy one as they seem to be way overpriced if you buy it. Building is almost free.

Raybrite, I think any solar power is totally cool. My brother in law was checking into it. I will tell him about you.

The book says it works within the 40 degree lines on the globe. It also depends on how much clouds are present. I am almost on the equator so we have sun almost 9 months of the year. The other 3 are rain.
    I thought Australia was more than 40 degrees yet they are supposed to have better conditions that I do here in the Philippines. Grorgia has the same rating in the book as northern California.
    The book is free online or you can order it from their website for a price.the plans are in the book.
    I plan to make one this evening when I pick up my wife from her friend's house. I will buy the materials (3' X4' cardboard, aluminum foil, Elmer's glue, and a few odds and ends to put it together, and a dark colored pot.)
    The pot is a common one that is available in the off price stroes in the States. don't need non stick because the food don't cook to the pot.
    By the way, it can also be used to purify water. They call it pasteurization.

Ray - if this works it's wonderful. I downloaded and saved the PDF manual.
    I wonder if they are using this in Finland?
    I'm glad you were not turned into a pork roast in your car.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Ray,
    Thanks for this info. I will send him the link. BTW I looked up your local, I thought it was the Philippines. Just had to say how much I loved it there as a kid! My sister was born there, and Dad did two tours there. Beautiful place.

The pollution from the Jeepneys and bug trucks is very bad now. I was diagnosed with Emphazema and they determined it came from the exhaust I breathed in when riding my motorcycle. I don't ride as much anymore and it has gone away.
    The big trucks where we live have destroyed the concrete road so it is a challenge to get to town now.
    We do have a nice condo in Cainta near Manila. When you get to Subic it is beautiful. The populated areas are the worst.
    We are sort of in the middle. Nice view, hot, humid, and full of smoke at times when people burn their garbage.