ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage & Tablet Settings, how they work together

Gallery
    View images

ArtRage & Tablet Settings, how they work together

1st let me say i know we have a few threads on and around this subject, but i felt it needed it's own, clearly labeled thread, i also wanted to mention some new things i've found over the last couple of days experimenting with different settings, which has taken me from not wanting to use AR for Sketching to i couldn't live without it lol

So 1st and foremost, to get a refined feel with your pencil in ArtRage you must also adjust your "tablet settings", i am talking about Wacom here, but other tablets may be the same if you have enough flexibility in the tablet properties with regards to settings.

I am looking for a pencil feel, i mean real media type pencil within ArtRage and i'm fussy lol, i can't stand making do, i want it to behave properly so i can concentrate on my artwork, not! getting a tool to behave properly all day long lol

I have noticed that there is a threshold, so what i mean is you can set your pencil up with say 80% percent pressure and 20% softness and this will be the same as 100% pressure and 0% softness provided you also change your tablet settings, hang in there i'll explain.

If you set your "pressure" to 80% and "softness" to 20% and your "tip feel" (tablet setting) to 5% it will be the same as you setting pressure to 100% and 0% softness and tip feel at 4%, trust me, i just tried it and this is whats so confusing, added to that confusion, Precise on or off makes a huge difference as well.

If you don't have your "tip feel" in the "tablet properties" set correctly around the 4% to 6% then you won't have a hope in hell of adjusting any other properties, they are all intrinsically tied together, so ideally to allow some leeway, i so far found that the following settings work well and you may very well find that settings just either side of what i have here may work well, with remembering, too much "tip feel" will make it so that you have no pencil control at all, and the same at the other end, so set your "tip feel" somewhere in the middle and adjust it from there.

On another note this also goes for every single other tool in ArtRage, to get the most out of those tools, i believe it would be best to play around with the settings until you get the effect you had imagined you would from a given tool. Once set up it will be breeze to go back too, and make your life painting and drawing just that much more enjoyable.

A couple of screenshots to demonstrate what i'm saying clearly:

In the top picture you can see that i have achieved good control, over line density, it's no trouble at all to do, i can go from grey to black lines all with the amount of pressure applied.

In the bottom picture you can see the tip feel setting i'm talking about, also the eraser (Styluss Eraser) works the same, set it at around about 6% where it is in the that picture and you will be able to erase lines at different varying degrees, so you can make a dark line softer or press harder (not by much) and you will erase it completely.

Thus ends my foray into all the questions i have asked about this subject, if you have any further information you would like to add, please do, especially about your findings with the other tools, i have only done the pencil in this example, i would expect some of the other tools to be different.

Thanks to all of you who have bared with my questions and given advice which has prompted me to find this information out

The complete settings from below are:
    For ArtRage:

Pressure - 100%
    Softness - 0%
    Tilt Angle - 0%
    Precise - Off
    Pencil - 18%
    Colour Black

Paper Settings:

Grain - Paper
    Roughness - 99%
    Scale - 10%
    Opacity - 100%
    Metal - 0%
    Colour - White

Tablet Settings: % = notch

Eraser - 6%
    Tip Feel - 4%
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LineVariants.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	31804  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Silentman; 08-13-2009 at 12:09 AM.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Gallery
    View images
    I agree - I would also point out that how hard you normally press is a factor. If it's too light, you spend too much time trying to 'hold it back' and too far the other way and you are pushing too hard to vary it easily.

So it would vary for each person.

Gallery
    View images
    Yep Excellent point Flynn, you can vary that by adjusting either the pressure and softness or adjusting the Tip Feel, keep in mind when adjusting things, it only takes a very small adjustment, it's very sensitive
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power