ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with pencil sketches

Help with pencil sketches

I've spent hours trying to figure out how to make a pencil sketch that doesn't look like all black ink and that has the kind of shading textures that can be done in a real sketchbook with a pencil. Bottom line: I want to use the pencil tool and not several layers which make it more complicated. I'm admittedly a beginner with art and the books I read on art say to stick with pencil and don't move onto colors too soon. That works for me great...but I must be missing something. I have read some of the threads on sketching and know it has been a problem with others.
    Could someone please point me in the direction or directions to find a solution? Thanks and if this is posted in the wrong section of the forums, mea culpa.

If you mean sketches in Artrage, it's simple - just turn off precise in pencil tool, and set pressure and softness on 50% And don't forget about paper settings

Thanks for your reply. I tried the settings you mentioned and on the default paper, nothing shows up.If I try a rough paper, they look like chalk and are too wide. I have only been using the Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet for a few weeks; the plastic area of the tablet is getting scratched. Is that normal?

Now I'm curious Em... What does the precise pencil setting actually change? I notice that it seems to take away any texture that may be on the paper. Does it change any other behavior of the pencil?
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

JoGirl - if it's too wide, try to change angle of pencil it works for me maybe you need diffirent settings, but for me it works fine, I made this drawing with those settings: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=20273
    And about scratching the surface of a tablet - maybe you should change settings of a tablet that it would work with soften moves? If you will set more precise on tablet, you won't need so much strenght for drawing

Sketchism - yeah, it take away texture under the pencil...and when you have precise on, it has soft edges and it's more like a pen than a pencil. But if you draw with really small size of pencil on a large area, it's not that visible... maybe I'll show you two drawings with diffirent settings of a pencil

Drawing with grapes was made with pencil set with precise on (of course I'm talking only about contours - other places were made with markers)
    and the second drawing was made with precise off (without white strokes - it was with precise on )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winogrona mniejsze.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	31544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passing_moment_by_emenemsbis.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	31545  
    Last edited by emenemsbis; 08-07-2009 at 05:52 AM.

Hi jogirl,
    that are some very helpful tips that emenemsbis describes. Let me just add some minor things that might help you to find the settings you prefer.

Try to paint rather with a dark gray than real black color.
    You can alternatively increase the size of the canvas and zoom out a bit or reduce the scale of the grain in the paper settings to get the feel of finer paper.
    It might alo be helpful to set the tip feel in your wacom pen properties more firm. ( hmmm but then there are your scratches. Just try some different settings here to find the one's that work for you).

Good luck !
    Last edited by Belvrog; 08-07-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Thanks, emenemsbis & Belvrog, for all the suggestions and the sample artwork. A lot to try on my end.

no problem, I hope that I helped you a little

The pencil drawings I submitted awhile back were done in two layers. They could have been done in one layer it I wanted to use the eraser.
    Begin very light, make a general outline then add detail as you go. Stay light with the pencil. That should be esy with a tablet as the pressure on the tablet will control the darkness.
    The biggest thing is Don't go too dark too fast. It is easy to go dark but not too easy to lighten it up.
    Practice and have fun.

Not that i've had a chance to try it yet, but Scott recommended turning the paper to cell, and yes using gray rather than black really helps.

In any case it's frustrating to get a good sketch, i'm not sure it's that intuitive for beginners to be honest, but there's some good tips i'll try out on my next sketch.

I sorta gave up sketching with AR until version 3 comes out, hopefully with some changes to the pencil and sketching, i've been using Corel Essentials and it has all the things i was talking about, the lines don't get darker if you run over them "lightly" continuously, and you can set the grain of the pencil to mimic a real one, that's before you even touch the grain of the paper, which unfortunately isn't as good imho as ArtRage, in Corel it seems more of a visual display rather than a real substance like surface that ArtRage has Woot Go Go ArtRage hehehe
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power