Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow Going WIP

Gallery
    View images

Slow Going WIP

Hi everybody, thought I would post this in here to motivate me to finish it. The sketch alone burned me out a little. I just started the painting phase and it is slow going with my busy schedule but maybe having it here to post on will give me a reason to keep on truckin! Click on it for a higher res version if it is difficult to see. Thanks for checking it out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip#20.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	28998  

"The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Gallery
    View images
    G'day Sketch,mate it is looking great!
    Maybe to spur you on,I work on a few different ideas at a time as I will burn out on one longer project, that is me,can't help it I found doing speedpaints,or working on a different style whenever I need a break.Keeps me "doing",if you get my drift?
    Anyway ,all the best mate

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Sketch,wow that's gonna be a really detailed work. I am sure it will look great when it's done.

Gallery
    View images
    looking good, that's gonna be really detailed. I'll be watching it grow here...

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Sketch, no fair telling us you'll be taking time off, then posting something as interesting as this! :-)

Seriously, it looks great, I'll be most interested to see what you do with this.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Gallery
    View images

Wow!

Wow, thus the reason for your AR "id!" Amazing sketchwork...and painting! Can't wait to see the final result!
    My Gallery here

MY MUSIC FREE DOWNLOADS here

FACEBOOK here

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you Scott,,Belvrog, Weem, yachris and Cathy for your comments!

Hahaha yachris, you are right but I actually had some time today for a little AR Come this week I will be back in the grinde. Im actually at work now...I am looking at this project and It looks totally different on this PC than on mine at home. The textured paper is much more textured appearing than how I view it at home. I didn't realize there would be such a big difference. Has anybody else noticed this viewing their artwork on a different computer? Now Im just curious.
    — Eckhart Tolle

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Sketch,
    This seems to be shaping up brilliantly. I'm totally taken by the richness of the colors. Great Going!
    & yes the paper does appear to be a tad over textured. dulls the impact a little.
    May I ask a couple of questions?
    What is the size of canvas you're working with? the detail on the eaves and such looks amazing and I was wondering if that has to do something with the size of the canvas.
    Also, how did you manage to lay down paint so evenly?
    would you mind sharing your brush settings?
    ta,
    fly
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Gallery
    View images
    This is going to be amazing Sketchism. I already like the colours and can't wait to see the next update. Great work.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by flyashy View Post
    Hey Sketch,
    This seems to be shaping up brilliantly. I'm totally taken by the richness of the colors. Great Going!
    & yes the paper does appear to be a tad over textured. dulls the impact a little.
    May I ask a couple of questions?
    What is the size of canvas you're working with? the detail on the eaves and such looks amazing and I was wondering if that has to do something with the size of the canvas.
    Also, how did you manage to lay down paint so evenly?
    would you mind sharing your brush settings?
    ta,
    fly

Thank you Coops and Flyashy!

Hey Fly, I do use a large canvas on my bigger projects. It is the only way I have figured out to get nice detail in AR. I also paint at a higher DPI setting for projects that I think I may print or have displayed in the Louvre! (hahaha).

This particular project is sized at 17" length by 11" width at 200 DPI. This allows me to zoom way in and get into some great detail on my sketch and painting. Painting any higher than 200 DPI causes the lights to dim in my house!

I paint on "Basic Paper" set to 0% roughness keeping the bottom layer the only layer with 100% opacity. I sketch on a transparent layer with pencil and keep this the top layer throughout the painting so I can see my sketch the entire time.

I primarily paint with the crayon tool, mainly because it is what I started playing with when I first installed AR and I understand it's blending properties better than the other tools. I set the crayon to 30% (or less) pressure on 50% softness. At this setting, the crayon tool becomes unlike any traditional media I have ever encountered! It is gooey blending magic! I then just adjust the size of the crayon to the to match what it is I am painting. I try to do the majority of my painting on the same layer, and allow the colors to mix together.

The textured paper is just added at the end to match the type of painting I want. I rarely paint on textured paper because it completely changes the dynamics of how the paint is applied. The image I attached below is with the texture removed and is what I see as I"m painting.

Hope that explained my process and I'm sure there are people here that understand these technical things much more than I do and can explain it better, but that's how I do it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip#20.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	29040  

— Eckhart Tolle