ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: CyberChick- lil help

Gallery
    View images

CyberChick- lil help

ok atm im happy with the face and mask but the hair looks like a cut out. i mean the shape it just doesnt look right to me. so any help to get this more realistic would be great. also any tips in general cuz i need the help! also theres a ton more to this..shes all hooked up to tubes and wires and machines but that just a sketch atm.

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyberchick66.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	28858  

Gallery
    View images
    You're off to a good start chambersecrets.

I like to use the crayon tool for doing hair, but the method requires a pressure sensitive drawing tablet. So for those who don't have a tablet, this may not work as well for you. Anyway, what I like to do is set the layers paper grain settings to use the "cell" preset, which makes the surface of your canvas very smooth (this can be done on a separate layer if you'd like). I then select the crayon tool and set it to use the following settings (give or take):

Pressure: 50%
    Softness: 90%

These settings will allow the color coming off the crayon to merge and smear the colors already on the canvas. So I begin by using the crayon to block in the hair with a dark tone (similar to what you have already done with your picture chambersecrets). I then choose a lighter color and begin highlighting the darker color where the light would reflect off of it. I then take another color (which may be lighter or darker depending on the area) and begin smear the blocked in colors back and forth. This smears and pulls the colors out like highlighted strands of hair. I continue this until I am happy with the results. I used this method for the following images: Link1 Link2 Link3
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    wow your really good! yea i have a tablet so the pressure thing is fine. so should i erase my hair and start over? also do u start with a solid base color then go in with everything else or is it done a section at a time? also with the face i want it to look more realistic...any tips? the way it is now is just the way it came out but not what i want it to look like. ya know? Im doing this from my head so im having a hard time with the lighting. I can execute the techniques but i dont know the theory behind it. if that makes sense.
    thanks for everything.

Gallery
    View images
    Thx .

It all sort of depends on how I feel, but normally I'll fill in the entire area, then go over the dark areas with lighter colors and keep building up the highlights that way. You should be fine continuing from where you left off there.

As for the face, working from memory is fine, but it's always better to work from a reference in my opinion. Even if one doesn't plan to make the face look like the reference in the least, it's good to have one simply to look at the structure of a similar subject (in this case the face) while working on the image. Without a reference, placement of shadows will become difficult while trying to come closer to realism.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Nice start. As an off-the-wall idea related to her hair, you might consider having some of the strands be wire of some sort...semi-organic; I'm not sure if it would work, but...
    Anyway, as I said, you have an interesting concept. Good luck with it.
    jb

Gallery
    View images

Smile

thanks for everyones help. i finished it and its in the gallery.

Gallery
    View images
    Love it!!!
    I went out into the night,
    I went out to find some light...