Thread: error message when saving file

Gallery
    View images

error message when saving file

I'm using ArtRage 2.5 on Mac OSX 10.5. Whenever I try to save a new painting file, I receive the error message below.
    "The file being accessed is invalid.
    There was an error trying to save your work. Please try again using a different name or location."

This happens even with a brand new unsaved painting with no content. I tried the "save as" command, but the same error message appears. I also tried reinstalling the application, but this didn't work either.

FYI, I had a look at other messages in the forum, but none seem to exactly match my situation. I also tried to access the support page, but for some reason, it won't load although all other menu choices work fine.

Appreciate any advice you may have.

Gallery
    View images
    Have you installed ArtRage in a directory with a '\' or a '/' in the path name? Or are you trying to save a file to a directory path with one of those characters?
    ArtRage uses a cross-platform toolkit, for MacOSX and Windows, and sometimes the file paths can cause problems if they have special characters.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    I checked and it's installed in the Applications folder (Mac) where the installer automatically put it. I can't find the characters that you referred to, so I don't think that's the problem.

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry, I misunderstood your response. I am not saving the file in a path with special characters.

Gallery
    View images
    On the off chance that I might learn something about the problem, I tried saving my new file to the folder where I saved a previous ArtRage painting, and it worked! The "save as" command also worked.

However, I still cannot save the file or a new file to any other location except to the same folder as the previous file, and this includes the "save as" command. I still keep receiving the same error message.

Gallery
    View images
    Could you run a permissions check on your disk and repair any problems that are found. Also, could you let us know if your user account has limited access? The error you're getting generally indicates that the OS is denying the user permission to write to the specified location.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    I ran the utility to repair permissions which seems to have done the trick. I'm able to save the file in different locations now. Thanks for your help.