ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Scanning pencil sketches into ArtRage?

Gallery
    View images

Scanning pencil sketches into ArtRage?

I am new to the digital medium and work professionally as a tattoo artist and looking to save valuable time through the digital medium to design my custom work.... and i am working with a limited income, therefore, would like to make use of my mouse as opposed to a pentab....

i want to be able to simply scan in a rough sketch, be able to ( as precise as possible ) select just individual areas of the drawing to add color and depth... much the same way you would airbrush... i need freedom to go outside the lines of my selection....almost as is if its just "cut out"....lets say for ex., just the pupil of an eye .... i would just want to select the small circle....quickly fill it black.... "deselect it".... select the color part of the eye....fill it blue then "deselect it" and have a crisp edge between the black and the blue without having to spend the time it would take to do it precisely like you would with good ole pencil and paper....

is that possible in this program and any advice would be greatly appreciated

Gallery
    View images
    ArtRage is all about doing it "imprecisely" by hand, not automation.

What you describe is akin to Magic Wand in Photoshop or the like. ArtRage does not have it, and I doubt it will ever have anything like that. So perhaps you are using the wrong tool, or trying to use your tool in a wrong way.

Try Photoshop or PSP or whatnot, designed more for photography retouching than freehand painting.

Gallery
    View images
    As arenhaus has mentioned, ArtRage currently doesn't have a tool for selecting areas, nor does it have an option to simply fill an area in. ArtRage was was made to be more of a creation starting point then an image editor. Programs like Photoshop (not free, nor cheap) and Gimp (free to use, but a tad clumsy) have the options for this sort thing. You can also try Sumo free online here: http://www.sumopaint.com. Just click the sumo guy image to open the program straight from the site.

It should be noted, if the scanned line work isn't nice and crisp before being imported one can't expect to simply click and be done with the coloring (regardless of the tool being used).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    yeah i am aware of the other programs....cs4 illustrator has an awesome "live trace" that would be perfect for the cost of $600....

pleases understand that my goal here is NOT to stray off the path of artisic integrity... but rather quite the opposite... i am a custom tattoo artist and what goes in the skin there will never be program for that (i hope)

i just have a large work load that is becoming overwhelming so i am seeking ways to get from point A to point B more efficiently

so what about scanning a rough colored pencil sketch into artrage? to blend and smooth out what would take hours to do with pencil to acheive a more "finished" look? almost as if to use the rough sketch much like an underpainting with oils or acrylic? just your basic shapes, dark and midtones, color scheme?

thanks for the replies guys

Gallery
    View images
    Scanning works just fine, but I'd use it as a base sketch to trace or paint over, as the paper will include a lot of strange shading. I've done this quite a few times.

Gallery
    View images
    Scan your sketch. Bring it into Art Rage, duplicate layers. Then on each layer, erase the part of your sketch you don't want. Pretty soon you would have each section of your color sketch on different layers.

Also if you have these sections on different layers, you can save each layer as a png file and then make a stencil for each one.

Pretty soon, you would have enough stencils to mix and match to create new tatoo designs.

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne