Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tablet question

Gallery
    View images

tablet question

Hi...I am new to the forum...just purchased artrage..and like it a lot
    I am purchasing a new tablet..I have a Graphire 4x5
    I have gone through the forum looking at the topics about tablets, and appreciate the input
    I am going with intuos for the pressure...but what is the difference between
    drawing on a 4x5 pad as compared to a 6x8 pad.
    I am just a hobby artist and I draw mainly cartoons.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thks

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Quickdraw,

Speaking as another hobbyist, I would say that the only real difference is the amount of space it takes up on the desk. In real drawing I tend to keep my hand in one place and move the paper about to suit it.
    You can do that with ArtRage.

Intuos 3 gives you the advantage of tilt detection, which can alter some of the tools. People who use pencil a lot have said that it is a useful feature.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

I agree

My intuos 3 was just under $200.00 bucks and it was the best money I ever spent. People on my crew try cheaper pens that need batteries and they are always giving them headaches.
    Eddie

Gallery
    View images
    People on my crew try cheaper pens that need batteries and they are always giving them headaches.
    hence the avatar ?

I used a cheaper one("trust") before my Wacom intuos3, and was very happy with it . It didn't need any batteries, but my very first one did (wacom pen partner)
    Just when you said "tomorrow I'll buy me some spare batteries" the devils ran out of power.... :evil: Of course shops closed for the weekend..
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images
    Hi and welcome

The difference in tablet size determines what the 'Pen Movement to Pixels Drawn' ratio is.

E.g. with an unzoomed picture on a screen with a resolution of 800x600:-

------------------
    800x600 - 5x4
    ------------------
    width:-
    800/5 = 160 pixels per inch pen is moved

height:-
    600/4 = 150 pixels per inch pen is moved

-----------------
    800x600 - 8x6
    -----------------
    width:-
    800/8 = 100 pixels per inch pen is moved

height:-
    600/6 = 100 pixels per inch pen is moved

This 'pixels per inch' ratio above is affected by level of zoom (pixels of the image, not the screen). If you draw a line across the tablet and then zoom in to 200%, draw a line across the tablet again and then zoom out to 100%, you'll see that the second line is half the size of the first.

In the 200% example, as above, using a screen of 800 width, the width ratio would be 50 pixels (image pixels remember :wink: ) per inch. That proves that any tablet size can have the same ratio as another size by zooming in or out.

I hope this dont confuse

Larger tablets can be harder to work on. I went through a phase where I wanted a big tablet and found that the smaller ones worked out better. You spend so much time zoomed in on your image that a big tablet isn't necessary.

Gallery
    View images

pad size

Thanks for the input...everyone.I think I will go with the 4x5. Sweeny mini...are you saying that with a larger tablet, you can be more precise...but with the zoom feature, you can compensate ?

Gallery
    View images

Re: pad size

Quote Originally Posted by quickdraw
    Thanks for the input...everyone.I think I will go with the 4x5. Sweeny mini...are you saying that with a larger tablet, you can be more precise...but with the zoom feature, you can compensate ?
    Yep thats it
    The only downside to zooming in, is you may need to pan more.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Quickdraw,
    I didn't know what size I wanted either, so I purchased the Intuous 3 6x8 and The intuous 3 4x5. I also thought I wanted the bigger one until I tried them both. I ended up keeping the 4x5. I liked it because it was less arm movement, took up less space. I am by far no artist, I just like to play around in PSP X, Adobe Elemtents 4 and now ArtRage 2. I feel it is the perfect size for me. No regrets returning the 6X8. I absolutely love the tablet and the size I purchased. It does not feel to small at all. It also came with Adobe Element 4. and Corel Paint Essential 3. Enjoy, they are alot of fun!
    Jancy

Gallery
    View images
    I had painter essentials 2 with my tablet, (same as yours) and painter essentials2 is only worth uninstalling.
    If you want a painter like program go for the free artweaver. I only use artweaver and artrage,for painting purposes.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK